This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:53 PM
Experienced

GeoffInCarlsbad is on a distinguished road
Default Where to run Electric Choke

These 1406's have an electric choke. I need to run the (+) to a key-activated source. Current wire not long enough to feed back to the fuse box. Is there a key-activated (+) under the hood somewhere other than the generator and the coil? I don't want to plug into either of those. I see what I think is a CVR on the firewall right in the middle of the firewall, and I'm thinking that may be a good place, but I cannot find a diagram showing exactly what that is.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-30-2017, 05:16 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

If you have power windows you can hook it to the window relay that's on the firewall. The only down side is that the choke will have power with the key in the ACC position also. If you don't have power windows I would run a wire to the fuse box or ignition switch.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Experienced

Default Firewall

Hi John:

Yes, I found an opening in the firewall where I can feed a wire through and I will be plugging into the fuse box. I just need to go get some additional wire. I'll splice and dice and be good.

I started her up earlier and man o' man, does a new carb make a huge difference. Proper acceleration curve, all the good "sounds". Just need to get that wire attached, and tune her up.

I have a new distributor and timing chain to work on, but for now, this will do. Thanks for all your help and happy new year.

~g

Old 12-31-2017, 11:27 AM

I'm sure you'll be happy with the new carb. It does make a big difference in my opinion. Plus they are designed for todays' fuels where the old Autolite wasn't.

John

Old 01-18-2018, 08:42 PM
Experienced

Default Great success.

Since I am now going to more modern equipment, we are going hot rodding! LOL! New Billet Distributor next on the list as well as new timing chain.

John, thanks for all of your advice and counsel. With that new Edelbrock 1406, my acceleration issue is gone. I am just now playing with the air/idle screws to find the best settings. now we're cooking with gas.

~g

Old 01-18-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffInCarlsbad View Post
Since I am now going to more modern equipment, we are going hot rodding! LOL! New Billet Distributor next on the list as well as new timing chain.

John, thanks for all of your advice and counsel. With that new Edelbrock 1406, my acceleration issue is gone. I am just now playing with the air/idle screws to find the best settings. now we're cooking with gas.

~g
Glad to hear that the new carb is working out. Even though I've adjusted the mixture screws many times by feel I prefer to use a vacuum gauge to get it just right.

John

Old 01-18-2018, 09:02 PM
Apprentice

Woobie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Glad to hear that the new carb is working out. Even though I've adjusted the mixture screws many times by feel I prefer to use a vacuum gauge to get it just right.

John

I was just logging in to post the same Jopizz.

Does he know about the cam button vs thrust plate for timing sets ?
Old 01-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Experienced

Default A man's got to know his limitations

Ok, a man's got to know his limitations. New Edelbrock 1406 w/electric choke, under the new Edelbrock chrome 14" Air Cleaner Assembly, new Pertronix Distributor w/Ignitor II sparked by new chrome Flamethrower II Coil, freshly painted coil bracket to boot.

I spoke with Bob's Carbs in Oceanside, along with 2 other mechanic friends of mine, and they said "that autolite is 56 years old, and you may finally get it to run better, but you will never get it to run like new. Rip it out and throw on a new carb."

Sage advice. I have a consistent, safe acceleration curve, 18Hg vacuum, right on the money, running to a PCV on the Edelbrock 1406 (it has 3 vacuum ports: Ported, Manifold and PCV). No more carb spacer, everything as it should be.

Timed to 6 degress BTDC, per the manual, and it stays constant.

Starts up on first crank, even when cold. Went for a long shake down today.....wow....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Fuel Delivery & Ignition Systems.jpg (143.0 KB, 23 views)