Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whitefab
    • Feb 6 2012

Start in Neutral

Please excuse my ignorance, I did not put a SBC powerplant in my bird! I found a deal on a cruiseomatic, and it seems to work pretty good. My question is this, Do you have to put it into N to start it? mine does not seem to start in P.
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by whitefab
    Please excuse my ignorance, I did not put a SBC powerplant in my bird! I found a deal on a cruiseomatic, and it seems to work pretty good. My question is this, Do you have to put it into N to start it? mine does not seem to start in P.
    You probablly have a good working Ford security system. I know it has stopped a few of my friends from starting our tbirds.....

All our tbirds seem to have it, there is a safety control switch that keeps the car from starting unless it is in Park or Netural. Some of our birds, you have to hold the lever up a bit and it will start in park, others you have to wiggle around, some vary between the two.....

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

I'll assume we're talking about a '60 T-bird.

It is common for the gear shift linkage to become sloppy after so many decades. Under your dash at the bottom of the steering column, there is a Neutral Safety Switch. Sometimes these come out of adjustment. Simply loosen the screws and rotate it until you car starts in Park OR Neutral. Then, tighten the screws, and you're done. - Dave

Oh, and TG you didn't put that nasty SBC in after all.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Astrowing
        Experienced
        • Jul 22 2009

The Squarebirds should start in both Park and Neutral. I'm hearing that the Baby Birds will only start in Neutral with the floor shifter.
        sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Joe Johnston
          Super-Experienced
          • Dec 23 2008

I'm hearing that the Baby Birds will only start in Neutral with the floor shifter.
          That is correct for the auto trans. The safety switch can be easily modifed to allow starting in park (and recommended) and new modified switches are avail from vendors.

Comment

• Jimz Bird
            Experienced
            • Feb 3 2011

What was the rational for only starting in N in the little birds?

A lot of us have modified it to work in P without any problems. Did they not trust that the FM would really be in P?
            Jim
            Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
            sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• Joe Johnston
              Super-Experienced
              • Dec 23 2008

What was the rational for only starting in N in the little birds?
              I have never heard the reasoning & was always something I just accepted as one of the quirks of these cars. It may be mentioned in Ray Miller's book "Thunderbird" but as a Snowbird, I won't have access to a copy till I get home. I will try and find out and post any reasons I learn. Interesting question and just proves there is always more to learn about and old car!

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                Experienced
                • Feb 3 2011

Thanks Joe,

So even if all the roads are paved in OH they are still to cold to drive on until spring I would take it.
                Jim
                Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Dec 23 2008

Thanks Joe,

So even if all the roads are paved in OH they are still to cold to drive on until spring
                  Its not the temp but the endless days of dull dreary weather without sunshine that turn me into a couch potato. I've driven my cars on sunny 10 degree days and loved it but I seem to have much more ambition when its sunny. This is our first winter in FL and my biggest problem is seeing convertibles in traffic with the tops down, and me stuck in my SUV! Sure would be fun to have a Thunderbird here in the sunshine state! (maybe I need to start hinting to the little woman we need another??)

BTW - I'm still trying to find why the N only start design.
                  Last edited by Joe Johnston; March 3, 2012, 10:48 AM. Reason: incomplete message

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎