X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

power steering

I need some help with my power steering. I have a '60 T-Bird coupe with the 352 engine. I have resealed the power steering pump, replaced it with a remanufactured one, installed a new filter and replaced all gaskets. The darn thing still foams up during use and dumps fluid out of the top of the reservoir so severely that I can't drive it more than about 6 miles without losing much of the steering. I am using type "F" fluid but nothing I do seems to help. The pump does not leak but I'm getting air in the system somehow and it overflows and dumps the fluid on the ground. Any help would be great!
    thanks, Casey
    Casey
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: power steering

You most probably have a leak the hose going to the power steering pump. The pump is drawing air in at that point.

Do you have a leak of power steering when the car is sitting or when it is running before it foams over ?

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 21 2003

It doesn't leak just sitting there. It seems to foam over after driving about 5 minutes. Then after you park it, it continues to drip but it seems to just be dripping from all the areas that were drenched during the foam-over; not the pump itself. All the hoses and connections have been checked and all seem fine. Is there any way that air is being drawn in thru the control valve?
      Casey

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Yes, air can enter there.

Do you have the little flap of metal that deflects the fluid that goes inside the power steering pump resevoir off the fuild return ? The fluid should not shoot straight into the resevoir. This would also cause foaming.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 21 2003

I think the flap is there.
          I'll have to go back to the garage and make sure.
          I'll check that and the control valve.
          Casey

Comment

• tarps3
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 21 2003

everything is where it should be.
            My mechanic says the control valve is rusty and deteriorated. It's the only piece I haven't rebuilt or replaced. Do you have any idea where I can find one??
            My car's been in the shop for 4 weeks and I just want to drive it! Any help you can give me in locating one of these is appreciated!
            thanks,
            Casey
            Casey

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

Call one of the vendors listed at http://www.squarebirds.org/links_squarebirds.htm . They will send you a rebuilt control valve. They will charge you for the core, which they refund when they get back the old one. Make sure the mechanic is careful taking out the old control valve. If he uses a ball joint separator or pounds the **** out of the drag link connection with a sledge hammer, he will destroy the control valve and they will not refund your core deposit. The connection to the drag link can be stubborn to remove after it has been in there for a few years. It is best to let the connection soak in Liquid Wrench for several hours and then try to tap it out.

Alexander
              1959 Hardtop
              1960 Golde Top
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 21 2003

I just ordered a control valve from The Bird Nest.
                Should be here by Wednesday morning (paid too much for 2 day air but I'm tired of waiting around).
                I'll let you know how it goes. If this doesn't fix it, I'm yanking it out and going with manual steering!
                thanks for all your help.
                Casey
                Casey

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

If you have a rebuilt control valve, rebuilt ram, rebuilt power steering pump and new hoses, you should have no problems.

Incidentally the pump should use Type A transmission fluid, though I have used Type F with no problems.

Converting to manal steering is not that easy as there are several unique pieces used and those parts are harder to find than the power assisted ones.

Alexander
                  1959 Hardtop
                  1960 Golde Top
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi,
                    Do you really have to convert to manual steering with those manual steering parts? My mounting stud for the power steering cylinder broke off a month ago. Before I had repaired it I took down the power steering cylinder and I drove the car without the power assistance for a few days. It wasn’t as bad as I expected. Of course I realise that the best thing is to repair or replace a defect control valve. Good luck with the new control valve Casey.

Comment

• Alexander
                      Webmaster
                      • Oct 30 2002

The non-power steering linkage was different than the power steering linkage. The unique pieces were painted gray from the factory. The manual steering idler arm had grease fittings unlike the power steering one which just uses rubber busings.

Alexander
                      1959 Hardtop
                      1960 Golde Top
                      Alexander
                      1959 Hard Top
                      1960 Golde Top
                      sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jul 21 2003

I think this will be my final entry to for this subject.
                        Thanks to all who replied and helped with this thing.
                        I just got the 'ol girl back and other than the reservoir lid leaking fluid due to overfilling, I think my power steering problem is solved. So, $600 in parts and labor later, I am back in business! Sheesh!
                        thanks again to all who responded with advice - especially Alexander.
                        Casey
                        Casey

Comment

• tarps3
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jul 21 2003

Well, so much for wishful thinking. Nothin's easy.
                          I STILL have a leak around the reservoir lid. It seems to build up a LOT of pressure and blow fluid out of the top when it gets hot. Now, someone told me that there is a little hole near the larger hole where the threaded stud goes thru the lid. I've heard that this is a vent hole to relieve pressure. The latest seal kit I installed had a rubber grommet that went down over the threaded stud and plugged up that large hole in the lid (along with the vent hole it would seem). In addition, there is a rubber backed washer under the wing nut on the lid. Between the rubber washer and the rubber plug in the hole, I don't see how that little pin hole is able to vent the reservoir. Should I leave the rubber plug out? Does that little pin hole allow the reservoir to vent? If so, how does it do that with the rubber washer in place above it?
                          HELP me before I drive this car into the ditch!
                          Caseyx( x(
                          Casey

Comment

• Alexander
                            Webmaster
                            • Oct 30 2002

There should not be any pressure in the resevoir. It should be filled to 1/4 inch from the top. There is a washer over that small vent you talk about.

Alexander
                            1959 Hardtop
                            1960 Golde Top
                            Alexander
                            1959 Hard Top
                            1960 Golde Top
                            sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
                              Webmaster
                              • Oct 30 2002

I have thinking about this problem. You replaced the control valve and yet you still have the problem with the power steering pump. I am fairly certain that the problem is that the power steering pump was not properly rebuilt. The relief valve is probably sticking in the power steering pump causing the backup of fluid into the resevoir. Open up the heaxagonal relief plug retainer and see if the parts are put in properly in there and see if the power steering pump valve slides out easily without binding.

Alexander
                              1959 Hardtop
                              1960 Golde Top
                              Alexander
                              1959 Hard Top
                              1960 Golde Top
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢