No announcement yet.

3-Speed OD 1959 Production

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

3-Speed OD 1959 Production

Greetings and thank you for the privelidge of being a new member. I recently purchased a '59 hardtop with Trans (2) and Axle (3). I am trying to find out the producton numbers for the 3-speed transmission with OverDrive. One sight stated that less than 3% of all 1959's produced (67,456) had a manual transmission and even less had the Overdrive option. I would greatly appreciate any help for a more specific and reliable production numbers. The rest of the code is 63A, Color Z, Date 17 M, Trim 8X. VIN: H9YH112305. Thanks for your time. :7
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: 3-Speed OD 1959 Production

Unfortunately, there are no available records from Ford to check how many of each option were made. The number I have often heard quoted is that 98% of 1958-60 Thunderbirds had the automatic transmission as an option. 1% had the manual with overdrive, and only 1% choose the standard manual.

We know it sold poorly. Only the automatic was offered from 1961 onward.

If you are looking for replacement parts for your manual or manual with overdrive you will also find that parts are rare.

Welcome to the site.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

RE: 3-Speed OD 1959 Production

Thanks Alexander for your quick response. Fortunately for now the tranny is good but will eventually need rebuilding. If anyone knows a good source, or comes across a source for the parts in the future I'd be very greatful.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎