X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 840 840 840
    Experienced
    • Dec 30 2008

First test drive in 58

Well today was the day. And after a little over a year, 2000 Hrs of labor, she was ready for a shake down run, and she drove just perfect, but wouldn't you know it!! It started raining as soon as we opened the garage door so it was top up for the first ride.
    I waited a while pulled her out and shot a few pictures and got her dirty, no problems, every thing worked and she hauls the mails, no air or water leaks on top.
    Still need two parts to have her perfect. But I'm going to rest now for awhile, while I search, half the fun right!
    Charley

• YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

First test drive in 58

Hi Charley!

You have done a beautiful, beautiful job of fixing up your '58! She is very pretty! Congratulation! To bad it was raining when you took her out, but at least you got to test how she handled the rain! When you can, please send me some large pictures of her. Something on the order of 300dpi. Send them to my email address and I will get them.

BTW, I am going to move this post down into the Our Rides Forum..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Wow, That is beautiful Charley. Very nice.

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

One cool car - and looking good in black and white.
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

WoW!!
          Totally beutiful! Congrats to a first class job.
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• bird 60
            Super-Experienced
            • Mar 18 2009

'58

Congratulations Charley, She's a Beauty.
            Too bad you had rain especially on your Maiden run, but then again you got to test Her for leaks.
            I took my '60 out for a spin this afternoon & got caught in a shower by the only black cloud around @%$#*&.

Chris....BIRD 60....FROM the LAND of OZ.

Comment

Hey Charley,
              What a sweet heart! You have done a beautiful job and should be proud of your new baby. Keep us posted!!!
              Richard D. Hord

Comment

• 840 840 840
                Experienced
                • Dec 30 2008

Thanks Guys!
                It just goes to show if you read all these posts and take in the combined knowledge of the members of Squarebirds anyone can build one of these wonderful old birds.
                I could have never finished without all the help I found here on the Forums. I like it so much, I may build another one.
                Thanks Charley

PS--Have you guys noticed how much the girls like these cars!!!! LOL!

Comment

Charley
                  Now weren't those 2000+Hours worth it. Look what you have done it is just outstanding Just wait till next summer you will be fighing off the girls.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Charles your 58 convert. is absolutely stunning and you should be very proud of your restoration especially the man hours put in. Those colours are rare and as you know the 58 convert, surviving all these years is in the low numbers. On one of your interior pixs there appears to be a light shining just under the radio console.Is that a map light you installed??
                    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Gold Bird
                      Experienced
                      • Nov 9 2007

Charles, What a beauty, you should be very proud! How about some engine pictures next?
                      sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158

Comment

• 840 840 840
                        Experienced
                        • Dec 30 2008

@Dan Leavens, The lamp is controlled through the doors and has a manual switch also. Open the doors and it comes on and goes off when door is closed and has a switch to turn on and off when doors are closed and you need light, also switched off when not wanted on when opening doors at night. I just thought it was stock as the dash pad steel interstructure is stamped steel for it to be there.
                        The dash radio and radio speaker in console are not stock as I could never get the original power booster to work and sound good even after having a NASA radio guy work on it.
                        He did make it work but you would have to put your head to the speaker with the motor not running to hear it. LOL!!
                        @GoldBird, I'll take some Tuesday for you. It's nice and clean.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Charles I will have to research that light under the radio. Do any of you recall this being a stock item on the squarebirds coming off the production line??
                          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                          Thunderbird Registry
                          58HT #33317
                          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Hey Guys,
                            I read somewhere the under the radio dash light (map light) was only available on the convertible Thunderbirds. Because there could not be a light overhead. I will see if I can find it!
                            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

First test drive in 58

Richard is right, as I recall. Just the convertibles had the map light there. I think the VTCI OFS covers that subject. There is the technical article on adding the map light under your radio on that metal plate if you wish to do that. Something that I might have done myself down the road.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎