Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - what is the proper vacuum advance unit?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vernz
    Experienced
    • Jul 12 2008

Help - what is the proper vacuum advance unit?

The vacuum advance diaphragm on my 1959 430 with original distributor is shot. The actuating arm on the one that came out of my car is straight while the arms on all the replacement units that I can find are curved. For instance, Rock auto has AIRTEX Part # 4V1110 for to 7.0L engine, but the arm is curved. Will this one work on the orignal distributor? If not, can someone direct me to a source for the right vacuum advance unit.

Thanks, Vern
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Curved arm is correct for the 1960 430 original distributor. I would think that the 1959 would be the same.
    Last edited by bcomo; July 25, 2008, 03:42 PM.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• KULTULZ

I believe this-

-is what you need.

To be 100% sure, one needs to cross-reference the Dist. I.D. Stamping No. on the bowl in the MPC (I only go back to 1960) to find the correct PN (Basic PN 12370).

As I remember, this same cannister fit a 58 EDSEL 410 another fellow was searching for.

Comment

• vernz
        Experienced
        • Jul 12 2008

Kultulz - YES! that is the part I need. Now to find it. I'll try the basic part number you provided. Does anyone else know of a source?

Thanks, Vern

Comment

• tp tbird
          Experienced
          • Dec 17 2007

On my 59 430 is curved.You need to check numbers on yours to see if that is the right one for it.Tom

Comment

• vernz
            Experienced
            • Jul 12 2008

My search for the vacuum advance showed me that this isn't as easy as it would seem. My distributor part number is FEW-12127-H. As far as I've been able to determine the vacuum advance part number I need is B9MF-12370-A(?) or B9AF 12370-A. Anyhow, I did find a FF 314 vacuum chamber on e-bid and bought it. This should be quite a challenge if figuring out the correct number for every part I need gets so confusing.

Vern

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by vernz

Kultulz - YES! that is the part I need. Now to find it. I'll try the basic part number you provided. Does anyone else know of a source?

Thanks, Vern
              I am not 100% sure that is the correct cannister. It's FORD PN puts it at a 57 FORD V8 (Y-BLOCK). You need to find your DIST. I.D. NO. on the bowl housing below the cap and then cross-reference that in the 49/59 FORD MPC to get the correct SERVICE PART NUMBER.

Then you need to find if the PN is still serviced via FORD or aftermarket or see if you have to find a NOS unit. The correct PN is imperative.

Comment

• orwin
                1960 Tbird
                • Jun 17 2008

430 Vacuum Advance - another searcher and more info

I have an original 430 J-bird. My vacuum advance is shot also. My car has distributor part # B9MF12127-B, with vacuum advance part # B9AF12378. NAPA and Rockauto list a replacement for the advance, but it is NOT like original. It is a one-pieces sealed unit with a 1/8" smooth nipple (for rubber hose). If anyone knows a source for the correct advance please post here - looks like this is a common problem. My pictures show the parts, note the curved arm.

--- john

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

John Orwin
                1960 HT 430
                VTCI #11290
                Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

• vernz
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 12 2008

I found a vacuum advance today that works. Went to a junk yard that had about 5 58-60 Thunderbirds in various states of decomposition. These have been out in the rain and snow with open windows and hoods for who knows how many years. Pulled the vacuum advance off of a 1960 352, part number FEW-12370-A because it had the right actuating arm. This seemed like a good match for my FEW-12127-H distributor (I know I need to get the MPC to look up the right part number). The crazy rusty looking thing actually still works and better yet, works in my car. It actually accelerates now when I hit the gas. Now I need to spend some quality time performing a proper tune up to ensure it is set correctly. Also got a bunch of other miscellaneous parts including a power steering pump, hub cap, power window motors, tail light lens screws, windshield washer nozzles, and even a washer fluid bag that is still flexible! ..all for $50.

I'm happy, Vern

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

Nice. How about posting up an address/phone # to that place?
                    sigpic
                    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Man your lucky. You still have junk yards like that. I might take a ride. Your not that far!.....................Bill

Comment

• vernz
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 12 2008

I will talk to the junk yard owner tomorrow and see if he will continue to let parts be taken off the cars. I think he took pity on me. As I said in my initial post, they have not sold parts off cars for many years. They are only in the business of crushing cars for scrap steel. Most of the yard is empty now, but way in the back, among the waist high weeds, there are a couple dozen or so older cars that he has not crushed. This includes, a 58, 59, and 3 60 Thunderbirds. They are in very poor condition. Only 2 still have engines, and those are missing carburetors, valve covers on one, water pumps and other parts. All of the cars had, or have, 352's. Most of the glass is broken, and they have been exposed to rain and feet of snow for a looong time. That equates to lots of rust. The hoods on all of them, that have hoods, have rusted to the point that the hinges have been forced off the hoods by the springs. That being said, there are parts that are usable. If I can get back on the site, I will take pictures of what's left. One thing that I am going to grab is a windshield. Mine has a repaired stone chip right in the middle. I believe there is one uncracked windshield. What do these go for?

Vern

Comment

• bcomo
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 23 2005

Vern:

If it is an original widshield, it is priceless because I believe that the replacements that are made don't have the curve at the top. I also think that the replacements don't have the proper blue tint at the top of the windshield.

I remember reading somewhere here that a new replacement windshield is about $350 and up.

Others here may have more information for you on that.

I'd be interested in any photos that you can take on the 60's there. Especially front grill crossbar, and tail section.
                          Bart
                          1960 Hard Top/430
                          Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• tbird430
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jun 18 2007

I'd like dibs on ANY windshield washer pumps, generator or waterpump mounted!!
                            sigpic
                            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• vernz
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 12 2008

Another trip to the junk yard today netted me the following:

4 tail light lenses
                              under hood wiring harness
                              complete bumper jack with lug wrench and proper screw-handle to hold the spare tire and jack base in the trunk
                              proper air cleaner (I discovered that i do not have the right air cleaner in my car)
                              surge tank (this is for a 352 but it is in such nice shape I could not pass it up)
                              1 chrome spear for the left door side
                              tinted windshield out of a 60
                              power seat motor out of a 58
                              chrome windshield wiper blades (not Ford, but look nicer than the black plastic I have now)

This pile of stuff was $150.

tbird430 - There were no more of the washer pumps
                              bcomo - I took the pictures you asked for. I don't have a photobucket account so I'll need to set up something to post the pictures. What I really want to do is become a dues paying member and start posting pictures directly in this forum. I'll call in to determine where to send the funds.

There are 2 windshield left, neither is tinted and one has some fogging at the botom center. Both are 59's. I may snatch those to use as trading material.

Vern

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎