X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

What Is This?

Dan ~ dancoresq sent me this email along with a picture regarding something that broke on his '60 430MEL engine. Here is what he had to say, followed by the picture.

"I have a question for you. I had something - a metal tube - break in my car (60 MEL T-Bird) and I took a few pictures of it. I am not sure what it is that broke but could show you a few photos and could describe it. It seemed to spray oil when gave it gas and the valve on top of it is looks like the an air valve on a tire. It sits in the center of the back of the engine (near the bottom of the windshield). The air valve is whats throwing me off as I don't know what would have that as it's top or if a previous owner rigged something up and its not the real top. It did just happen (at night) so while it looked like oil, I do guess it could be some other kind of fluid. The car still starts and drives although I only moved it back into it's garage."

I think what broke is that copper tube with the white circle on its end at the bottom of the picture. Was that hooked to the back of that flange with the bolt with yellow threads on it?

Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Every once in awhile this topic pops up. It is a transmission test tube, used by the factory before delivery.

It goes to the transmission and it serves no purpose. Most Squarebirds do not have one at all. Others may have one that is disconnected.

I believe John Byers (byersmtrco) took this picture of his '60 convertible:

Hope this helps. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

What Is This?

Thanks, Dave! I remember this being talked about before now, but did not remember that when Daniel asked that of me in email. I gather, from the looks of it, that the tubing broke off from the back side of that connection on the flange. I gather it would be okay if he were to either try to hook it back up, or cap it off? Apparently, from what he said, when it broke, he experienced it leaking what he thought might be oil, but was probably transmission fluid. I will pass this information on to him and thank you for it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Yes Ray, tell Daniel that it's ok to remove and discard the tube from his trans and plug the hole.
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• dancoresq
          • May 21 2009

Thanks all

What is pictured by Mr. Byers is the what broke and it does look, in daylight, like transmission fluid and not oil. Very good news that it can simply be capped off. As a temporary fix to stop the leak (a significant spray, actually) and to move the car back to the garage and seeing that there was excess tubing that could be pulled back through if necessary, I did clamp the tube that's pictured with a monkey wrench and, as stated, the car seemed so sound fine while running. Now I need only to cap it permanently. Always a nice to hear a fix is an easy one. As always, thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎