X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

A 1959 Merc 430 in my 1960 T-Bird.

Hi Henry, we love pix so if you can show us some of your installation we will enjoy seeing them, I am sure!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by 63-4drpost

I put a 1959 Merc 430 in my 1960 T-Bird.

welded home-made front motor mounts to frame(I used a piece of Model t FRAME RAIL,GOOD IRON)
      BOLTED TO THE 352 CRUISEMATIC NO PROBLEMS
      exhaust, oil pan , all worked fine.

bolt the engine to the already mounted in place transmission, then you know where to weld the front motor mounts.

some 430 have the side motor mounts like a 352, mine did not.

I have since changed to a 3-speed stick set-up. floor shift, really like it. I can send pictures of the installation if you want.

Henry
      Are you referring to the engine cradle (frame) mounts (352) or the actual insulator position (engine skirt design - 430) themselves?

I was under the impression that all 59/60 J-BIRDS came through with the 352 frame mounts.

Originally posted by KULTULZ Posted 01-23-2012 POST #9

You can mount a 59/60 430 into the BIRD with little work as the combination was factory offered. The 59/60 430 BIRD has forward engine mounts and the FE has center mounts riding on the cross member.

The 430 can be set down using FE mounts (early blocks 59/60 had both mounting positions in the side skirts).

I would think the FE flex plate and convertor can be used. The FE trans is a lighter duty (MX) but should hold a mild 430. The rears are the same, only the ratios different.
      I would really appreciate clarity as I need to update my notes...

I love it when these little factoids come to life...

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by 63-4drpost

I put a 1959 Merc 430 in my 1960 T-Bird. welded home-made front motor mounts to frame(I used a piece of Model t FRAME RAIL,GOOD IRON)

BOLTED TO THE 352 CRUISEMATIC NO PROBLEMS
        exhaust, oil pan , all worked fine.

bolt the engine to the already mounted in place transmission, then you know where to weld the front motor mounts.

some 430 have the side motor mounts like a 352, mine did not.

I have since changed to a 3-speed stick set-up. floor shift, really like it. I can send pictures of the installation if you want.

Henry

Originally posted by KULTULZ

Are you referring to the engine cradle (frame) mounts (352) or the actual insulator position (engine skirt design - 430) themselves?

I was under the impression that all 59/60 J-BIRDS came through with the 352 frame mounts.
        UPDATE-

I have since found that not all J-BIRDS came through with the 352 engine mount tabs.

Henry, did you ever post or send the changeover photos in?

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

430 in a monarch sceptre

Here is what Henry had to say. "Here is my home made motor mounts. I used the front style mounts because I had them and like them better than the Ford style mounts. It shows the 1972 Dodge master cylinder also. I also installed a 2000 Taurus rack. It has some bump steer, so will work at correcting that as soon as this frickin' snow goes away! 10* last night, 20th of March."

Here are the pix Henry just sent me!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by YellowRose; March 20, 2013, 09:06 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DaveB
            • Dec 11 2010

352 or 430

I am looking at a 1960 bird and trying to figure out which engine it has. VIN has a Y but the valve covers are not correct; look like 430's. Any easy way to visually identify a 430 from a 352?

Thanks

Dave

Comment

• Howard Prout
              Experienced
              • Feb 11 2009

For a 430 the surge tank sits lengthwise to the engine, not crosswise as for a 352. The fuel pump for a 430 sits top centre of the engine at the front as is single action. The fuel pump for a 352 sits lower on the left side as is a double action pump including a vacuum pump. Attached are a picture of a 430 from the shop manual as well as pictures of the left and right side of the 430 in my vehicle.
              Attached Files
              sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Yup, the fuel pump is a dead give-away - and easy to see on a 430.
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Yep, my eyes are still blinded by all that chrome under Howard's hood. Sure does look great! - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 63-4drpost
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 14 2009

fuel pump

yep, easiest way(but NOT the only way) to ID a 430 is the fuel pump. 352 is mounted lower front of driver's side of engine, 430 is right on top of the front od engine, on the timing cover. Just a side-note, I have a completely rebuilt 430 for sale.

Comment

• 63-4drpost
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 14 2009

If it won't go, chrome it

Just kidding, that is the pretiest 430 I have evr seen. Nice job!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎