Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yoauto
    • Oct 24 2011

430 Removal

I need to replace exhaust manifolds & gaskets on 1959. I'm wondering what is the best way to go at it. Tear motor down in car or remove. I can see there is already one bolt broke off in the right side head and I am expecting before I get the manifolds off there will be others. Also the manual I have says to pull engine and trans as unit. I want to take this time and detail and paint . Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks Clyde
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

It depends on the condition of the eng and trans and how long since either were rebuilt? Biggest factor is the condition of your checkbook??

You can make minimal repairs or rebuild and repaint everything - this is a project that only you can determine the amount of effort and money you want to put in to it and the goals you want to achieve.

Comment

• tp tbird
      Experienced
      • Dec 17 2007

430 removal

I had mine in and out three times due to a oil leak ,one time in and out with the trans and the other two time just the engine,you can do it either way.If you have A/C the box is close to the bell-housing at the top ,the bolt on the top of the bell-housing is hard to get out if you go with just engine removal,but can be done.If you are just working on the heads to repair broken bolts you can take them off in for RR.You can heat and use penetrating oil to loosen the bolts ,if I remember right it is the ones on the heads that break most of the time.If your motor needs any other work like lower end take it out same with trans,then you can detail the engine bay at that time.It depends on your pockets,how deep they are.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Generally speaking, it's always best to paint the engine bay with no engine. That's how it was done at the factory. Also, exhaust manifold bolts on practically every engine are the hardest to remove because the heads get orange-hot which draws carbon out of the steel and makes them rust to a new size. I suggest you get stainless steel replacement bolts because they don't need to be super strong and high heat won't affect them.

You never mentioned anything about rebuilding your engine. How many miles are on it? tp bird and Joe Johnston are right about the ease of working on the engine while it is out. Again, that's how they did it at the factory. The engine and trans were together and dropped in as one unit with one guy guiding under the car and the other running the hoist. One car per minute. Hmmm... Ford paid under a BUCK for each engine dropped (A/C or not)! - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎