Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DalecarliaEric
    • Mar 15 2015

Convertible Relays

A friend of mine has renovated his convertible top. Instead of using the original 12 relays, he used 12 common standard relays, 12 V 30 A. They cost $ 4-5 per piece instead of over $ 50 per piece. Probably the new relays are more reliable as well. The assembly does not look bad either according to me.

Eric
    Attached Files
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Professional looking and a nice neat job! Very economical too!! Did he take any more pictures and if so this would make an excellent article for the VTCI Scoop Magazine!!

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Convertible Relays

Eric, is it possible to obtain more pix of how he went about putting that all together? If so, it would be good if you could post them or send them to me. That is a nice looking install I think. As Joe said, that would make a good article for the Vintage Tbird Club, International (VTCI) Scoop. And I would be able to make a good Technical Tip out of it for our Technical Resource Library. So many '60 Tbird owners have had problems with that system over the years because of age, or not exercising the system on a regular basis over many years time. I have had a good number of '60 Convertible owners tell me over the years that they sold their Convertibles because of being tired of battling the problems of not being able to get the top up or down.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DalecarliaEric
        • Mar 15 2015

Photo of the Relay

Hi,

Hi, I attached a picture from Biltema's catalog on relay with article number 42-302, hope the picture is helpful. The relays are mounted on sockets.

Eric
        Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Most folks want a 'plug in' relay panel. In other words, once you unplug your original relay panel, how does the new one plug in? I suppose you could cut the wires off the OEM panel and butt splice all the wires but that's a mess.

So, the relays are not an issue but the interface is. I've been using these relays for many years (but the NO & NC contacts version with the 5-pole plug). I sent a pair of relays and sockets to Kenn in Wisconsin for his headlights. My relays are 40-amp. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Convertible Relays

Dave sent me the spec sheet on the DPI Power Solutions relay that he uses and was speaking of below. Attached is the spec sheet he sent me, for those who would like to have this information. BTW, if you do not want to go the DIY route, there are several companies listed in the TRL who make these solid state convertible top systems. That includes John Draxler of Tbird Ranch, who makes one for for Squarebirds, one for Bulletbirds, and one for Flairbirds. You will find his Convertible Relay Replacement System listed in the TRL. Since he wrote that, he has added a shorter Squarebird system that is also now available. Check out his website, and you will find his contact information in the Advertisements Forum.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by YellowRose; July 6, 2018, 10:24 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎