X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

casting number locations

I have a 62 t-bird. One casting number is on top of the manifold. Where would any other be on the engine as like the C2AE on top of the manifold. Would it be down below on either the passenger side or drivers side below the spark plugs. Larry
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

casting number locations

Hi Larry!

I am going to give you some information that applies mainly to Squarebirds, but might also apply to Bulletbirds. Here are a couple of links that I found by just doing a search on our Forum for engine casting number locations One of them is by Alan Tast, one of the greatest possessors of Tbird knowledge on the Planet! I am sure if Alan see's this, he can give you precise locations to check for the Bulletbirds. But I bet they did not change the locations much on the 390 engines.. I don't have a copy of the VTCI OFS for Bulletbirds, but I bet he does since he pretty well wrote it, I think! Check this out..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
      Experienced
      • Jan 5 2008

Casting Number Locations

Virtually every major casting will have an engineering number and a date code, along with foundry casting ID mark. All the major parts will have the casting number and date code exposed to view, with exception of the cylinder head's date code (you have to remove the valve cover and look between the center-most valve springs and scrape away all the crud covering it). This includes the engine block, cylinder heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, water pump, etc. Some will require you to get under the car and look up at the side of the engine block or next to another part that's bolted onto the block. Get out your wire brush, some solvent and a flashlight, then start looking - consider it a good way to get intimate with your engine.

Apparently Larry hasn't gotten a copy of VTCI's '61-'63 Original Factory Specificatons Manual. It not only shows locations but also lists engineering/part numbers and subsequent replacement numbers. With all the info that's in it for all aspects of the car, you'll kick yourself for not having one in the first place.
      Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
      Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
      Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎