Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any concern with transporting my ’60 with a tow dolly?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYsquarebird58
    Experienced
    • Feb 6 2012

I need to transport my ’60 a few miles down the road. She currently has no brakes, so I was planning on renting a tow dolly. I was planning on driving her on to the tow dolly and using the emergency brake to keep her from rolling back.

Considering how low these squarebirds are, would I have any clearance issues with the tow dolly?
    VTCI# 11860
    58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)
  • KULTULZ

Originally posted by NYsquarebird58

I need to transport my ’60 a few miles down the road. She currently has no brakes, so I was planning on renting a tow dolly. I was planning on driving her on to the tow dolly and using the emergency brake to keep her from rolling back.

Considering how low these squarebirds are, would I have any clearance issues with the tow dolly?
    You mean one of those U-HAUL suicide trailers that either the steer or drive tires ride on? They are dangerous. The parking brake will not hold the rear axle on, you will still need to strap belt the wheels.

I would also be concerned with front end drag.

How much for a roll-off?

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
      Experienced
      • Feb 6 2012

To clarify, I mean to use the parking brake only to help maneuver the car on and off the trailer. Since I don’t have brakes, the parking brake will “hold” the car for me when I let off the throttle. The front wheels will be ratchet strapped on the dolly and the rear wheels will role with the transmission in neutral.

My only experience with towing with a U-haul tow dolly is when I towed an ’87 Chrysler Lebaron. It was pretty straight forward and I had no issues, but the Squarebird is lower, longer, wider and heaver.

I can also rent a car trailer from U-haul for not much more money, but I’ve seen posts on here where people have had issues with their floors bottoming out on the trailer when loading.
      VTCI# 11860

Comment

• lawyercalif
        Experienced
        • May 12 2011

I don't know if towing in neutral will hurt the transmission or not. However when I paid to have a 59 TBird Coupe transported a couple of hundred mies, they removed the driveshaft.

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by lawyercalif
          I don't know if towing in neutral will hurt the transmission or not. However when I paid to have a 59 TBird Coupe transported a couple of hundred mies, they removed the driveshaft.
          I have always understood for most cars with autos that towing an auto was a bad idea. But I have also read that as long as you, with the car running shift the car from park to drive, then from drive to neutral it should be okay on a short haul. The other thing was that shifting the car, running from reverse to neutral would cause serious damage to the trans.

I have used the uhaul trailers, they are nice trailers but they do have a raised section along the rails that a lowered car may not clear, but I doubt a stock height squarebird would have any problems.

Personally, if it doesn't cost much more for the trailer, I would try that route first.

Last time I tried to rent a trailer to tow a 64 TBird, they wouldn't let me, they told me the car and trailer were to much for the truck I had.... The 99 Dodge Diesel with the performance towing package, really?

Or the car was to heavy for the trailer. Either way, their computer told me I couldn't do it.

Comment

• Deblib
            Apprentice
            • Apr 30 2012

Towing

We hauled our 60 bird from SD to Colorado on a flat Uhaul open trailer. We used winch to load it. It's heavy. 4,000 lbs. for car and 2,000 for trailer. Our Dodge truck had no issues pulling it. Our only problem was lowering it off the trailer into the garage. Luckily I got it stopped.

We had it moved by a towing company across town on a flat bed tow truck to the shop after we fixed the brakes. They did have to be careful not to hit the rear bumper as they winched it up but they are higher. If you are not going that far its worth the money to have the professionals do it. I know only certain cars will work on those dolly type trailers.
            Debbie #38435

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I have had to move Rose several times and each time I used a flatbed wrecker. You do need to make sure the driver knows that he needs to have the angle of the flatbed set properly so that when he wenches it onto the flatbed the bumper, gas tank, floor pans, etc., do not scrape. I was there each time it was moved to supervise the loading and unloading of it. I would go the flatbed wrecker option if it were me.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• KULTULZ

The FORD-O-MATIC and CRUISEOMATIC trans had rear pumps which will allow it to be flat towed without the drive shaft being removed. There are speed/distance restrictions. They should be in the Owners Manual.

By the time you get the trailer(s), load, cuss and groan, the roll-off will have it there with no damage (in my opinion).

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by Deblib
                  We hauled our 60 bird from SD to Colorado on a flat Uhaul open trailer. We used winch to load it. It's heavy. 4,000 lbs. for car and 2,000 for trailer. Our Dodge truck had no issues pulling it. Our only problem was lowering it off the trailer into the garage. Luckily I got it stopped.

We had it moved by a towing company across town on a flat bed tow truck to the shop after we fixed the brakes. They did have to be careful not to hit the rear bumper as they winched it up but they are higher. If you are not going that far its worth the money to have the professionals do it. I know only certain cars will work on those dolly type trailers.
                  Hi Deb, How did your ’60 fit on the trailer? From what I’ve seen the U-haul trailers look rather short. I’d like to use a winch, did you rent that from U-haul also?
                  VTCI# 11860

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by RustyNCa
                    I have always understood for most cars with autos that towing an auto was a bad idea. But I have also read that as long as you, with the car running shift the car from park to drive, then from drive to neutral it should be okay on a short haul. The other thing was that shifting the car, running from reverse to neutral would cause serious damage to the trans.

I have used the uhaul trailers, they are nice trailers but they do have a raised section along the rails that a lowered car may not clear, but I doubt a stock height squarebird would have any problems.

Personally, if it doesn't cost much more for the trailer, I would try that route first.

Last time I tried to rent a trailer to tow a 64 TBird, they wouldn't let me, they told me the car and trailer were to much for the truck I had.... The 99 Dodge Diesel with the performance towing package, really?

Or the car was to heavy for the trailer. Either way, their computer told me I couldn't do it.
                    Yup, U-haul’s website has drop down menus where you select what kind of vehicle you are towing, and what you’re using to tow it with. It says that they offer no solutions for towing a 1960 Thunderbird. My ’03 Suburban should have no problem towing the T-bird. I’ve towed backhoes, boats and other types of construction equipment with it, with no problems. I guess U-haul is just erring on the side of caution.
                    VTCI# 11860

Comment

• RustyNCa
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by NYsquarebird58
                      Yup, U-haul’s website has drop down menus where you select what kind of vehicle you are towing, and what you’re using to tow it with. It says that they offer no solutions for towing a 1960 Thunderbird. My ’03 Suburban should have no problem towing the T-bird. I’ve towed backhoes, boats and other types of construction equipment with it, with no problems. I guess U-haul is just erring on the side of caution.
                      Yeah, I wasn't very happy with them. I needed to get the car home from Klamath Falls to Redding. I had bought it and the guy assured me over and over, that yep, car was good to go. Well, it made it about 1 mile down the road when it started sputtering and not wanting to run.... I had caught a ride up with my dad who was headed north through K Falls. I ended up borrowing a 26 FT enclosed trailer from a friend of a friend. So I actually came out ahead thankfully. Cost to me, I replaced the taillights on the trailer that were broken when I picked it up as a token thank you.

But we were not at all happy with UHual, but I have to admit the Squarebirds are a big car.

See the heavy rope tied to our Jeep when we lowered the 59 with no brakes off the trailer, it did the trick pretty good.

And if the car won't clear the trailer when you load or unload it..... well, here was our not so elegant trick to get it on..... But the 58 is way lower than a factory car.... we didn't have that issue with the 59.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by YellowRose; June 5, 2012, 05:12 PM. Reason: Resized Picture

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 30 2009

The last time I towed a vehicle like this, (a 1991 Chevy S-10 with an auto trans.), I unhooked the driveshaft at the punkin'.

That was 1992, and it was what everyone said I should do back then.

The trip was about 180 miles.
                        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                          The FORD-O-MATIC and CRUISEOMATIC trans had rear pumps which will allow it to be flat towed without the drive shaft being removed. There are speed/distance restrictions. They should be in the Owners Manual.

By the time you get the trailer(s), load, cuss and groan, the roll-off will have it there with no damage (in my opinion).
                          I may end up taking your and Ray’s advice on getting her towed. I’d just hate to spend $150 each way.
                          Here’s the background story and the reason why I’m needing to transport the T-Bird this weekend:

My girlfriend Monika works for an organization called Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers. They’re a Catholic mission that does mission work all over the world. From time to time, they hold events to raise money for various charities and their organization. This year they decided to do a classic car show.

Monika, who volunteered to be part of the planning committee, mentioned to me that it would be nice if I still had that Firebird I had when we first started dating.

Well, that got me motivated to start looking for cheap project car to get running in time so that we could take it to the show.

I got searching on craigslist (with no particular type of car in mind) and came across a ’58 Thunderbird. Long story short, I bought her a few days later and joined squarebirds. When I finally was able to find time to get underneath her and get working, I realized that the amount of rot was so bad that even if I got her running, she would not be structurally safe to drive. I ended up selling her and was lucky enough to find my black ‘60 right under my nose just on the other side of town.

At this point I had three months to get her roadworthy. I put in allot of time under coting, replacing the entire fuel system and working on the disc brake conversion. I also volunteered to help promote the car show. I went around town hanging posters, passing out flyers and promoting the event online.

Unfortunately, one day while working on the T-Bird, I got hurt. I cut the tendon and broke a piece of the bone on my left ring finger which required surgery and months of recuperation. So I resigned myself to having to leave the T-Bird on Jack stands with the disc brake conversion half complete until I was well enough to finish it.

Again, for a second time, it seemed that we would not be bringing a T-Bird to the car show… Well, about two weeks ago, I decided…she’s going to the show even if I’ve got to push her!

I had a friend come by over the weekend and help me with getting the new wheels and tires bolted on, and getting the car back on the ground. This Saturday I’m gonna shine her up and get her ready for the show on Sunday.

I’m going to call some towing companies and see what’s the best deal they can give me for same day round trip service. It may be too iffy loading and unloading the Bird myself only relying on the emergency brake. I’ll leave it to the pros.
                          VTCI# 11860

Comment

• lawyercalif
                            Experienced
                            • May 12 2011

After all you have gone through and the money you have spent getting this car ready for this show, spend the $300.00 and get it there safely. You have done an amazing job in a short time now go show it off.

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by lawyercalif
                              After all you have gone through and the money you have spent getting this car ready for this show, spend the $300.00 and get it there safely. You have done an amazing job in a short time now go show it off.
                              Thanks, Daniel. You’re right. The cost of the tow both ways is well worth the piece of mind knowing that it’ll get there safe. Every car that shows up to this show will help the cause. If there is a poor turnout this year, there won’t be another one next year. Hopefully this one will be a great success.
                              VTCI# 11860

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎