Icebergs in the Antarctic

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Icebergs in the Antarctic

Icebergs in the Antarctic area sometimes have stripes, formed by

layers of snow that react to different conditions.

Blue stripes are often created when a crevice in the ice sheet fills

up with meltwater and freezes so quickly that no bubbles form.

When an iceberg falls into the sea, a layer of salty seawater can

freeze to the underside. If this is rich in algae, it can form a
    green

stripe.

Brown, black and yellow lines are caused by sediment, picked up when

the ice sheet grinds downhill towards the sea.

Beautiful, you sure keep us informed on many interesting things,But I thought your T-Bird would be setting on top of the berg

BobM

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

What about the one with red paint? Oh wait, that was rubbed off of the RMS Titanic, never mind. LOL!!!

That are some cool pics, I heard people go out and chip/cut icebergs and sell the pieces @ a premium!! It melts down and forms the PUREST water ever found on this planet!!
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Penelope
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 4 2008

Cool photo's (no pun intended!) EG. I never knew they could be multi-coloured. You learn something knew every day.

Bill
        sigpicBill
        Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• Petrolhead
          Experienced
          • Jul 2 2007

A chilling prospect

Originally posted by tbird430
          What about the one with red paint? Oh wait, that was rubbed off of the RMS Titanic, never mind. LOL!!!

That are some cool pics, I heard people go out and chip/cut icebergs and sell the pieces @ a premium!! It melts down and forms the PUREST water ever found on this planet!!
          A big mother of an iceberg drifted quite close to the coast of New Zealand a couple of years ago, which is pretty unusual. Some character put an ad for it on Trade Me, our online auction site. It was hilarious, especially the auction questions and answers, but seeing as the Trade Me owners had their sense of humour removed at birth they pulled the listing.

His sales pitch was: "In good condition. Some small stains should come out. About 100 by 300 metres. Could be bigger underneath. Most are. Got from Ronne ice shelf about six years ago. Girlfriend doesn't like it and needs to go. Buyer to pick up."
          One bidder asks: "I am looking for something along these lines for a Christmas decoration. Do you have it in the shape of a reindeer?"

Oh, as an aside, re pure.... don't eat the yellow snow

Alistair

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎