No announcement yet.

disc brakes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

disc brakes

is there a disc brake conversion that will fit 14" wires i heard that one method leaves about 1/2 an inch. Is that enough.I like the idea of disc brakes but it to costly to change wire wheels
    pozz
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Two basic options and there are not really any "kits".

Granada spindles and calipers - have that on my car - alignment is a nightmare plus other specialized items like the front flex lines.

The easy route - Scarebird brackets on the OEM spindles. Believe you can get a complete list of items needed for the Scarebird brackets by joining the forum (it's cheap) Send a message to Simplyconnected - one of our admins - he has a ton of info.

More than just adding the disc's though - booster, lines, new master cyl etc but with either option you will need to change wheels. The center hole on the OEM Ford drum wheel is too small to clear the rotor snout. I used 70's Ford LTD 14 inch wheels but there are other options.

Search the site on Disc's or Disc brakes for a lot of info.

Eric

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I think he's asking if he can reuse his 14" wire wheels with the disc brake conversions that are available. I know this question has been asked before. What make are your wheels. If they are the Coker Kelsey Hayes Replicas they have two different backspacing; 3.25 and 3.50. I would measure your backspacing and see what you have. I'm pretty sure the 3.25 won't work.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

Thanks John - I see what you mean.

Eric

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I have an important question... Did your Squarebird come with a power brake booster mounted in the engine compartment?

Dkheld knows his stuff. He is using a Granada setup (and so am I, on our '55 Customline). For fifteen bucks, I had a lathe hand turn down my rotor snouts to match my OEM hubs. Both the Granada and the S-10 systems work equally as well.

I'm also using the Scarebird (S-10) setup on our '59. I don't have a preference because I was able to get the Granada setup cheap, from a bone yard in Florida. They both use a 2.5" piston on 11" rotors, so they stop about the same.

What wire wheels are you running? - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

I'm running 14's
            KH (REPROD) wires will work - Orig will not.
            You will have to run 1/8" spacers as I do so the
            wheels will clear the calipers.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎