Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raptor1962
    • Jul 11 2006

Rear brake drums

A few weeks ago I had my rear brakes lock up on me on a long trip. I did not realize that they were dragging and kept on driving it. Well, long story short, I ended up having a catastrophic brake meltdown. Bought everything new to re-do the rear brakes (wheel cylinders, springs, shoes, hardware, ect.). Figured I had better have the drums turned as there was some bad scarring in them. Come to find out that the heat from my "meltdown" had warped the drums into an egg shape. Now I need replacements. I am trying to find anything that will interchange with the 61-62 Thunderbird for rear drums. I have priced new ones but have sticker shock from the prices. Just wanting to know if anything else Ford made has the same size of drums. Thanks.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm pretty sure the same rear drums were used from 59-62. At least the part number is the same. I bought the ones for my '59 at NAPA for about $50. That was the cheapest new ones I found. They say front but the front's and rears are the same for 59 so I imagine they should work for your '62. If not you can always return them. I don't believe anything later will fit. Most had 15" wheels and larger drums.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rear brake drums

My suggestion would be to call Don at the Bird Nest. I bet he knows what will go on your Bulletbird. If Squarebird drums fit, ask partsetal if he can help you. He probably has 14" Squarebird drums. Are Bulletbird rims 14" or 15"? I do not remember.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• raptor1962
        • Jul 11 2006

I don't want to limit my search to just T-birds if there was any other Ford that might have the same size of drum on it. Trying to find a vintage 'bird around here is kinda hard to do, that is why I was thinking maybe some other Ford would maybe fit and be easier to find. Was just hoping there would be a Ford guru or someone with an interchange manual who could tell me if Ford used these drums on other cars.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

According to my cross reference various big Fords and Mercurys up to 1968 used the same drum. Try Galaxie, LTD, Country Squire, Marquis, Montclair, Monterey, any full size should have the same rear drums 11" X 2 1/2".
          Last edited by jopizz; June 18, 2011, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• raptor1962
            • Jul 11 2006

If I knew for certain that 60 and 61 used the same rear drums, then I know that I would have found a source for them and cheap too. Summit Racing has Bendix drums listed for 60 Thunderbirds for $31.95 each. If these do indeed fit, this would be a **** of a deal.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Rock Auto has them for $29.79. Raybestos 2620R. Shows they fit Thunderbird 58-68 and Full size Ford 62-68.

Comment

• Jimz Bird
                Experienced
                • Feb 3 2011

There has been quite a bit of discussion on a mailing list that I am on about new drums - No personal experience but it appears that many "new" imported ones are not at all balanced and can cause hard to track down vibrations.

Older American made drums had bits of metal welded to them to balance them.

There were even some suggestions to go to a BIG truck shop to have them checked.

I have also read that those truck shops can reline you rear shoes with "older" style material linings. Again, don't know for sure.

Just something to be aware of.
                Jim
                Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
                sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• raptor1962
                  • Jul 11 2006

Just for anyone interested, I bought a set of 60 rear drums and tried them on my 61. They fit like a glove, and at $32 a piece (from Summit Racing), they saved me a ton of money.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎