Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidmij
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 17 2011

Lex, I should still have the spread sheet of all the parts and prices from the various auto stores, but it's at home. I'll try to post it or send it to you tonight. Rockauto (online) was the cheapest overall.

Dave J

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by lexdownunder
      ...What I need to know is if anyone has part numbers for the (GM) S-10 calipers to suit 1968 Mustang 11" rotors & a supplier please??.
      Calipers mount on Scarebird brackets. Mustang rotors fit your original spindles. They work together but were never sold that way.

GM used this type of caliper on just about every car at one time from 1978-2002. Look for 1985 Chevrolet S-10 or GMC Jimmy S-15 calipers. They come three ways: Loaded, Semi-loaded, or bare.

If you buy bare calipers you will need to buy a hardware kit which includes all the rubbers and pins.

If you buy semi-loaded, you will need to buy just pads.

Loaded, means they are ready to install.

The beauty in this is, there are a host of different pads to suit your needs from very soft to ceramic. They are available everywhere. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• davidmij
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 17 2011

Lex, I sent you a personal message with my e-address. If you want that parts list just reply to it and I'll attach it.

Dave J

Comment

• lexdownunder
          Apprentice
          • Sep 7 2010

Thank you to everyone for all the info & advice & to Dave for sending me the spreadsheet of parts required.
          I now have ordered all the parts for the conversion....some local in Perth & some ex U.S.A.
          I am leaving for three months break tomorrow to Tasmania so the conversion probably won't happen until end of Feb/early March next year.
          I will post the progress on the forum.

Thank you all once again & I'll take this opportunity to wish you all & your loved ones a very Merry Christmas & a Safe & Happy New Year.
          God Bless.

Lex & Susan

Comment

• lexdownunder
            Apprentice
            • Sep 7 2010

Disc Brake Conversion

Hi Guys
            I've been in Tasmania since early December last year & returned to Western Australia very briefly two weeks ago. As my '59 is still in Perth, I was able to make a start on the conversion.
            I went down the path of Scarebird GXY bracket, GM-S10 calipers (loaded), '68 Mustang 11" rotors & ABS 8" booster & dual res M/C.

It's been easy to date. By using the scarebird bracket & Mustang rotors, I retained the OEM spindles & bearings. An easy bolt on conversion. The M/C & booster will have to wait a while as my mechanic is out of action for a while with a stint in hospital. I am now back in Tasmania but he will continue with the conversion in the next few weeks.

With the wheel rims, I had OEM 14" rims which are not suitable for disc brakes. I was lucky & found suitable rims at a local tyre fitting shop. Unfortunately I have no idea what vehicle they were off as they were only marked as Ford 14".
            When we tried the rims after the conversion, they just (& I mean only just) touched the top of the caliper. So minute that it barely marked the inside of the rim. Easy solution was a very small grind to the caliper. Rims fit perfect now & I've had the existing tyres fitted to the new rims.

That's it for now Guys.
            More updates when the M/C is fitted.

Cheers
            Lex

Comment

• davidmij
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 17 2011

Lex, I went to 15 inch rims to solve that problem. I thought the instruction article mentioned that but I could be wrong.

Anyway, glad to hear it's going well!

Dave J
              Attached Files

Comment

• lexdownunder
                Apprentice
                • Sep 7 2010

Hi Dave
                I had read on previous threads that 15" rims would solve the problem & that was my next option if I couldn't find 14" rims to suit. The other reason was from a cost point. The tyres I have are almost new so being able to fit them to the new rims was a huge cost saving.
                Cheers

Comment

• Restifier52
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 26 2011

You must be a member of a very exclusive club-disc brake conversion with 14" rims. I wonder if there are any more out there?
                  1960 HT
                  Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Rick, are you serious? How many junk yards have you called or visited?? How bad do you want 14" wheels? You live in a great area with resources all around. If you can't find used rims, you can order them NEW! I found a set in Dearborn.

Guys like Lex have very few resources by comparison but they seem to persevere & get what they need.

Just two years ago, Ray Clark visited his bone yard and came away with a few sets (five in a set) of 14" wheels. Not only is he using his but he sent a set to Niagara Falls for Howard Prout's '60. They're beautifully blasted and powder coated. Howard wants to keep his power disk brake SB looking stock with original hub caps so 15" wouldn't do. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Howard Prout
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 11 2009

Originally posted by Restifier52
                      You must be a member of a very exclusive club-disc brake conversion with 14" rims. I wonder if there are any more out there?
                      As Simplyconnected (aka Dave Dare) said, Ray pulled a set of three for me - I think from mid 70s Granadas. The issue is that the rims must be disk brake compatible. Dave has a picture of me measuring the recess on one of my rims. The clearance is minimal but they work. I tested one of my rims on Dave's converted 1959 Galaxie before starting my conversion.
                      sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• lexdownunder
                        Apprentice
                        • Sep 7 2010

As Simplyconnected (Dave Dare) stated, the resources for 14" disc brake Ford wheels are much more readily available in the U.S.A.
                        I was sent the following list of 14" steel rims that would suit this conversion but they are almost all U.S. cars & not necessarily available in Australia.

Here is the list of rims that I am told will work well on a Squarebird.
                        >
                        > Any 1977-1979 rim from the Lincoln Versailles, Ford LTD II, Torino, or Ranchero.
                        >
                        > 1975-1980 Ford Granada.
                        > 1972-1979 Torino, or Ranchero.
                        > 1971-1973 Mustang.
                        > 1971-1973 Cougar.
                        > 1977-1979 Cougar.
                        > 1975-1980 Monarch.
                        > 1977-1979 Tbird.
                        > 1998 Ford Ranger.
                        > 1974 and up Maverick.
                        >
                        > Earlier 70’s Torino or Ranchero with 14” rims might also work.
                        >
                        > Any Ford 1969-1987 14” disk brake rim.

Cheers Guys
                        Lex

Comment

• davidmij
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jan 17 2011

What Lex said was that he already had tires, "The other reason was from a cost point. The tyres I have are almost new so being able to fit them to the new rims was a huge cost saving."
                          It wasn't so much that he couldn't find any 15's.

BTW, I have my old 14's if anyone needs some.

Dave J

Comment

• Restifier52
                            Experienced
                            • Jul 26 2011

What I meant was are there many successful conversions with 14" rims out there. I was going from the premise that doing it with 14s just didn't work. I was wondering if the membership of the "club" was just one member.
                            1960 HT

Comment

• Restifier52
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 26 2011

Looks like I haven't really been paying attention.
                              1960 HT

Comment

• simplyconnected
                                Administrator
                                • May 26 2009

Oh, it's real, alright... most disk brake conversions won't work with 14" wheels (like Wilwood and many others), so in light of that you're right.

Chrysler Corp. cars also share 14" wheels that will fit our disk brakes as well. I think Dart, Demon, and other intermediate cars qualify. I guess you need a Hollander book or two, then TRY them. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎