X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidmij
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 17 2011

390 question

Can anyone tell me what these block date codes mean?
    2C12
    The first "2" has two dots under it.
    From what I've googled I believe it means 1972. But i think it could be a 1962.
    If it is the 1972 can you tell me how I would find the HP and torque ratings for this with the 4 barrell? I can't find them for a 1972 anywhere.
    Also is there a way I can tell if it is the truck 390, or the car 390.

thx, Dave J
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Sure, Dave... CLICK HERE
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• davidmij
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 17 2011

Way cool - I'm bookmarking that one.

thx!

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

Very useful link. Thank you very much Dave
        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Guys, don't thank me, I'm just glad to help.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• davidmij
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 17 2011

Hm, I still don't see where I can tell if the first number "2" with two dots under it means it's a 1962, or 1972 block? I can't find a "part casting number, usually cast or stamped into the part." on my block where it should be.
            The reason I need to know is because I am looking for the "mounting-clutch equalizer bar bracket" (engine side).
            I've found a few of these on E-bay but I don't think they will work with my block. The mounting holes on my block appear to be ~3 inches apart. If you look here you'll see the various ones on E-bay. http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...+z+bar&_sacat=
            Problem is, they are all about 1 9/16 inches apart on the hole centers. Otherwise they would work fine.

Also, can anyone tell me what they call the short little pieces of tube that are used to keep the heads in place when putting them back on an engine? They go in the lower corner holes on the block.

Thx as always, Dave J

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

You may id your block by different castings that are attached to the block if you can't find a good block ID:
              A complete listing of all Ford car engine ID tag codes used between 1965 and 1972 as published in the Ford Master Parts Catalog (MPC).

This page shows 1965-'72

A complete listing of all engine ID tag codes for '73-'79 F100-500 trucks, including F-150, F250, F350 pickup trucks as well as E100, 250, and E350 Econoline (E-series) vans.

This shows 1973-'79

You need to have your head screwed on straight when buying parts from eBay. Many times they don't say what the part number is or what year engine it came from. A 1960 FE engine uses a B8A 7509-A Engine bracket, but a 1961-'64 uses a C2AA 7A572-A. I'm not sure what the newer blocks used.

I call those little rings that hold the heads before assembly, locating bushings. They may have a different name, but new ones come in the gasket sets.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tbird430
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 18 2007

I've heard those head mounting "points" called dowels.
                sigpic
                The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• davidmij
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 17 2011

Thx gents!
                  Unfortunately this motor had already been gone through before, and the coil wasn't attached when I bought it. I don't find anything that can really help me tag, stamp, or cast wise, but it's really not that big of a deal. I have what I know is a 390 and I know what the distance between the 2 holes is for the Z bar clutch equalizer bracket. What I did with the other parts I found on E-bay was ask the seller what the measurements were. I'll have to do the same here until I find what I need. Basically I have the correct Z-bar for a 59 T-bird, and I'll have to find the engine side (lower) equalizer bar bracket for a 67ish 390. May have to make some mods but I'll get it to work eventually.

At least I know what to ask for when I get the "head dowels". I bought a complete felpro gasket set for the 390, but they weren't included. No biggie.

thx again to all

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎