X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kimmc
    Experienced
    • Mar 5 2014

steering wheel center hub

Months ago I removed the center hub (pics attached) with no problem in order to clean up the steering wheel. Now, when I tried to re-attach it, the clips inside the hub won't hold the hub in place. I've tried to slightly rebend the clips but nothing is working. I am afraid to bend the clips too much and then breaking them. Such a small simple tack but frustrating me. Has anyone encounter the same problem and conquered it? Thanks for any help. Kim
    Attached Files
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Did you take the steering wheel off. If so did you put the support piece back that holds the center cap. It's easy to forget.

John
    Last edited by jopizz; July 6, 2016, 07:51 PM.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As you can see by the diagram part #3660 needs to be installed and oriented correctly before you put the nut on for the center cap to stay in place. There's a notch that keeps it in the correct place.

John
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jopizz; July 6, 2016, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• kimmc
        Experienced
        • Mar 5 2014

Thank you John P. Frankly I don't remember that part so I will look into that tomorrow. I'll also check the box of extra parts! Thanks again. Kim

Comment

• c4clewis
          Experienced
          • Aug 18 2010

Originally posted by kimmc
          I'll also check the box of extra parts!
          I also find I'm a little too "efficient" putting things back together sometimes!

Comment

• kimmc
            Experienced
            • Mar 5 2014

John P. and c4clewis. Well, I could not wait for tomorrow. I went out to the shop tonight, looked in the box of extra parts and there was the missing piece. I wondered where that thing went! So, thanks again John P. That was a real good diagnosis of the cause of my problem with the center hub. I should have asked for help sooner! Ruby ('59 convertible) should be on the road by the end of this month! Thanks again. Kim

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Kim,

You're welcome. Glad to hear that you found it. Please post some pictures of your '59 when it's completed.

John

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎