X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

430cid Snorkle Pics

Well here are the shots I promised showing the snorkel part of the air cleaner off my 1960 430cid bird. This is an inside view of it fully closed (note the copper thermatic sensor/probe in the middle of the housing):

This is an outside view, fully closed. This would allow warmer air from the left exhaust manifold to enter the carb during cold weather start-ups.

Here is an almost fully open inside view:

This is a fully open snorkel outside view (outside temp would be over 80 degrees):

Hope this helps educate some of you w/o a snorkel or a few of u 352cid guys... LOL!!
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

Were you able figure out how to remove the sensor? There's a pin at the opening that holds it all together, I couldn't release the spring tension to pull the pin within the small confines of the snorkel. Any recommendations?
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Hawkrod
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2005

A couple of things, 1 it is not a sensor, it is a thermal motor, Ford calls it a thermostat. When it gets hot the center shaft is pushed out. 2 the thermal motor is actually not attached to the shaft spring and rod assembly you are looking at, the assembly simply has a rod sticking down the center. Unscrew the motor and it will come out seperate from the rod and spring. Hawkrod

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

I had to have an extra set of hands to pull that pin out "GTE427" while I compacted the spring down using a table and my own two hands....
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• GTE427
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 9 2007

Thanks for the help, I'll wait till my son stops by and give it a second try.
          Ken
          1959 J Convertible
          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎