• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBird
    Experienced
    • May 22 2005

430 SUPERCHARGED?

Here's one for the wizard.

The wrist pin on a 383 MEL is lower than the wrist pin on a 430 to make the piston go all the way to the top of the cylinder because the crank has a shorted stroke and the rods and blocks are the same.

This has to be or the 383 compression ratio would be very low if the piston didn't reach the top.

For the sake of arguement let's say the crank is 1/4" shorter and the wrist pin id 1/4" lower to raise the piston top back up to the head.

The 383 crank can be used in a 430 which should act like a 1/4" stroker kit. Rather than use 430 pistons which have a 1/4" higher wrist pin which would lower the piston top... what would the net result of a 430 with a 383 crank and 383 pistons be?

I'd guess the compression ratio would be 5 or 6 to 1...?

Now how about an 871 SUPERCHARGER?

Would this work? How many cubes would it add? What is the new compression ratio?

I think my bird would look great with the hood scoop off and sporting a blower.

Any math geniuses out there up to the task?
  • KULTULZ

RE: 430 SUPERCHARGED?

If you are seriously considering an 671 (and yes, intake manifolds are available), you would be better off ordering a set of ROSS custom pistons for the application. The pistons are forged and will resist a meltdown.

Comment

• JBird
      Experienced
      • May 22 2005

Yes I am considering it. The car will be driven in parades and to car shows and maybe to a Drive-in or Sonic a couple times a week with momma and I so fuel is not a problem. Bear in mind the rest of the engine is stock so this is just for show and a little go.

Right now it's 442 cubes at .060 over with very thick top 8:1 pistons. How much lower should I decompress to ad an 871 Jimmie? I have the cubes to use it. I was thinking 6:1 by using the 383 crank which knocks .4 inches off the stroke. With the piston .2 inches lower at TDC and .2 inches higher at BDC. Will another .2 inch drop in piston height sufficently increase combustion chamber volume to lower the compression to 6:1?

I guess a 671 would be better on the street and since it won't be raced anyway... that would run better on the street but I'm like Tim Allen on Tool Time. MORE POWER!

Comment

• KULTULZ

Here's some technical data J;

See what they recommend for piston type/boost. With those pistons, you aren't going to be able to use much boost or lead. Sorta like having a good looking blonde riding with you but she is off limits if you know what I mean...

How are you going to carburate it?

Comment

• JBird
          Experienced
          • May 22 2005

I plan to take it over to Re-Power Warehouse in Visalia, CA and turn Master Mechanic Ken Cox loose. He builds race engines for a living.

Comment

• JBird
            Experienced
            • May 22 2005

Sorta like having a good looking blonde riding with
            >you but she is off limits if you know what I mean...
            >
            >How are you going to carburate it?

at my age...
            That's off limits too

Comment

• KULTULZ

>Sorta like having a good looking blonde riding with
              >>you but she is off limits if you know what I mean...
              >>
              >>How are you going to carburate it?
              >
              >at my age...
              >That's off limits too

Yeah...I can identify. I start crying usually. Most are kind enough to reach up and wipe the tears from my eyes... :-(

Comment

• JBird
                Experienced
                • May 22 2005

lookey!

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

That is pretty cool.

Alexander
                  1959 Hardtop
                  1960 Golde Top
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

• KULTULZ

LOG STYLE INTAKE MANIFOLD

The above was rough for street useage as it was single plenum and had six Strombergs (or FORD 94's or possibly Rochester 2GC's) that had to be synchronized. Roadster stuff mainly.

These log manifolds came in 6 x 2 and 8 x 2 configurations. I don't know how deep your pockets are but carburetion on that huffer would look nice with a 6 X 2 setup. Finding the mounting plate may be difficult, but it would look good through that hood.

MOON also makes FI throttle bodies that appear as a Stromberg carburetor. Best of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎