X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steffan
    Apprentice
    • Jan 29 2007

Transmission Linkage

I hope someone can help me out with this one.
    I had my COM rebuilt and took it for its first run last Sunday. What I noticed was that it would shift through all gears before I could get around the corner. The second problem is that I have NO kickdown. In D2 it won't kickdown from Drive to Second when you put your foot into it and when in D1 it won't kick down into either Second or Low.
    Is this a linkage adjustment? Any tips on the proceedure to set it up?
  • Astrowing
    Experienced
    • Jul 22 2009

Yes, it is the transmission linkage adjustment. There is a procedure in the manual in the auto transmission section for initially roughing the setting. With a hydraulic pressure guage, you can set it where it needs to be with the tables in this section of the Ford manual. it will make a complete difference in the way the car runs and driveability. This transmission does not use a vacuum modulator adjustment for kickdown, it is done by the linkage adjustment and is more like a modern Ford AOD.

If all this does not solve your problem, the linkage is probably so worn and sloppy that it needs to be addressed somehow. For a high-mileage car this is common.
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎