Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjugofyra
    • Jun 3 2010

Suspension, Lower front A frame on '59

Removed everything to the lower A frame. Rubber bushings are bad. Not obvious how to remove the heavy pivot pins. Need suggestions on how to remove them.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Lynton, welcome to Squarebirds. I feel honored to answer your first post. You need a Shop Manual for your car.

It goes through the proceedure of putting the car on jack stands, then putting a jack under the lower ball joint, then loosten the ball joint nut.

When you separate the ball joint, the nut will keep the parts from getting away. Finally, loosten the nut and allow the lower 'A' arm to rest on the jack as you lower it. The spring will fall out and you don't need a spring compressor.

Then loosten the pivot bolts and nuts. Pay attention to any shims because you will put them back from where they came. Drive the bolts out and the lower 'A' arm will drop right out.

Take lots of pictures while you are taking things apart, as you clean and repaint your parts, and while you put the assembly back together.

Since you will have the whole spindle and both 'A' arms out, consider changing all your bushings, your front springs, and add power disk brakes. I did mine, now the brakes will put me through the windshield (just like a modern car). I can take my hands off my steering wheel and the car stops in a straight line with no fade or pull. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

Dave has it right on the money - only thing I can add is that the car has to be off the ground approx. 22 inches measured from the inside of the A-Arm to the ground for the arm to swing down far enough to remove the spring. Basically it pretty high on these big cars.

Disc brakes are a tremendous safety modification to these heavy cars.

Eric

Comment

Hey Lynton,
        Once again just ask! I knew Dave (simplyconnected) would come through, he always does. Now there's a man with some experience!
        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• tjugofyra
          • Jun 3 2010

A little confidence helps

Thanks, I just threaded in a 3/8 - fine bolt to take the hammer blows and pins are sliding out nicely using a two pound hammer.
          Do the pins need to come all the way out or just back far enough to remove the arms? Do both front and rear pins need to be removed?
          Next order bushing kit.
          Like the idea of the disk brakes. More info please.
          Engine and tranny are removed.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Lynton, there are 26 pages of technical posts (plus some how to do it Tech Tips in the Technical Resource Library) on converting a Squarebird with 14" rims to disc brakes. Here is the link. It should help you make a decision, and which way you want to go. There are several different ways you can do this, as you will see. If you have 15" rims or greater, on your Tbird, you will be in good shape. If you have 14" rims you will have to find disc brake ready rims from a bone yard or disc brake ready Ford car. All this is talked about in this thread.

This Forum is for the discussion of adding a dual Master Cylinder, Dual 8" Power Booster, and Power Front Disc Brakes to the 1958, 1959 and 1960 Squarebird.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Lynton, ALL suspension work is not for the weak. It requires heavy, big tools. Thank God for levers and pipe extensions.

By the sound of your post, you are on your way. Pull the pins all the way out so you can clean them up before you put them back in.

Did you ever get that shop manual? - Dave

Richard Hord (..Shhhh... before someone starts to believe that stuff. Someone who really does know their stuff will eventually ask hard questions, and then the REAL truth will come out.)

Edit: Hey Lynton, I left you a personal message (PM). Go to the black bar above, and click on 'User CP' (control panel). Inside there are your personal messages.
              Last edited by simplyconnected; June 7, 2010, 05:23 PM.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hey Dave,
                Truth is truth! You know what I'm wanting to say, what I have told you several times, but I will keep it to myself!!!
                Richard D. Hord

Comment

• tjugofyra
                  • Jun 3 2010

New supension parts arrived yesterday, finally. Out of stock and a price increase -- go figure. So will work on suspension a bit today.
                  Dave, back to the shop manual and membership. I'm sure there is a button to push here someplace, just need help finding it.
                  Lyn

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Lyn! If you would like to become a paid member, you will need a PayPal account. If you have one, good. If not, you will need to create one and fund it. Once that is done, just click on the Donate to Site button that you should be seeing at the top right of the Forum. It will take you from there. Good luck with the front end work.

Here is some additional information for those of you who would like to support Squarebirds.org by becoming paid members. I wanted to let you know that it IS possible to pay for your membership by another way, other than through PayPal. I know that some people do not care to use PayPal for various reasons. It is possible to send payment to John Peters ~ driller in care of Lincolns of Distinction, whose server we share. Here is the link to becoming a paid member that those of you who are not, might want to review.

Last edited by YellowRose; June 23, 2010, 01:38 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

So, use either PayPal, or mail your $20 check or money order to:

Lincolns of Distinction
                      188 Arbogast Lane,
                      Morgantown, WV 26508

Please note on the check, 'for Squarebirds membership'.
                      Last edited by simplyconnected; June 23, 2010, 02:45 PM.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎