X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rowaman
    • Sep 26 2014

Very noisy wind bar

Hi all,
    I am a new member and a new owner of a 1960 Golde in creme over Orchid Grey metallic. She is a beauty and I am having fun getting to know her. My wind deflector/ chrome bar in front of the sunroof sets up quite a howling vibrating racket. The tube is just a 1/2 circle of stainless steel. It seems a full round bar would be much better. Am I missing parts or is that how they were made? Ideas for quieting the noise down would be much appreciated.
    Thanks so much.
    Scott
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Very noisy wind bar

Hi Scott, I have not heard of anyone having that problem before. Perhaps one of our users will be able to tell how to quieten that down. I do know that the wind bar is difficult to find to replace. It might be a matter of missing a rubber insulator between the wind bar mountings and the roof line. We have a number of people on here with a great amount of expertise with these old Birds of ours. Hopefully someone will have an idea on how to make it quieter. BTW, we would love to see some pix of your Golde Top. When you joined I posted a Welcome to you in the New Members Welcoming Forum. It will tell you what to size your pix to and how to post them. Post them in the Our Rides Forum.
    Last edited by YellowRose; October 29, 2014, 12:09 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Harry LePargneux
      Apprentice
      • Sep 30 2010

A half circle of stainless is how they were made.
      I placed my hand on the wind bar as I was traveling to try and determine where the vibration was coming from. On mine, I placed 2-sided tape between the stanchians and the the roof. The tape has been on several years and is still working.
      Good luck, Harry
      Last edited by Harry LePargneux; October 29, 2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Harry look at you go with the solution Perhaps your monicker as Newbie should be changed
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Very noisy wind bar

Scott, I just had a conversation with Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here regarding your noisy windbar problem. Carl owns a couple of Golde Tops and said that he has never had that problem before. He also said that there are no insulators that go between the windbar and the roof. So you are not missing anything in that respect. They mount directly onto the roof. What you can do is to make sure all the mounting screws are securing the windbar fully into the roof line. If one or more are loose, that could be causing the vibration. Also check to see if that windbar has any cracks in it that might be causing the problem. If you fix the problem, please tell us what you did to stop it, so others will know if they have the problem.
          Last edited by YellowRose; November 2, 2014, 10:03 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• 430bird60
            Experienced
            • Dec 30 2008

very noisy windbar

When I purchased my car the previous owner told me he had filled in the windbar with some sort of putty as it had been quite noisy. Seems to have worked. I would think any caulk or silicone would do the job. You might give it a try.
            Ken

Comment

whistlebar

I had a sunroof squarebird back in the '70s. I seem to remember that the concave part of the whistlebar was completely filled in with caulking or silicone. I don't remember what material was used but you could experiment with caulking or silicone. I do remember that with the sunroof open, there was only a slight "wooshing" sound.

Comment

• rowaman
                • Sep 26 2014

Noisy windbar

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I will check all the screws and try to insulate with the tape. If that does not work maybe the silicone to fill in the 1/2 circle. I would love to have just a whooshing sound!
                Scott

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Very noisy wind bar

Scott, were you able to quieten your wind bar down and if so, how did you do it?

Comment

• TJA60GoldeTop
                    • Jul 30 2009

I have a 1960 Golde Top that was originally purchased new by my parents. Even when I was first driving it during the early 70's, I always remember the windbar getting noisy at 50 mph. I think it may have calmed down some at higher freeway speeds though. I'm doing some work on the car now and am interested in whether anyone has found a solution since these previous posts. I'll definitely check the mounting screws and consider some tape or other vibration dampening as mentioned. Thanks in advance for any updates.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎