X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1960Bird
    Experienced
    • Dec 4 2002

Engine color

Are the correct color for the 1960 engine block,heads,water pump and oil pan black?
    390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Engine color

Yes. It is gloss black engine paint which is commonly available. The 1959 and 1960 blocks are black. The 1958 blocks are Ford blue - a light blue. It is rumored that the color of the engine blocks was changed to black in 1959 to make oil leaks less visible.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Meridious
      Experienced
      • Nov 16 2007

I read that when I was doing some research into T-birds prior to buying my 60-Bird. (That they painted the engines black during those years to hide pesky oil leaks).

You have to wonder how true that is. I wonder if anyone at Ford has ever owned up to it?

Also, other than a Cougar and a Mustang I owned for short periods, my T-Bird is really my first long-term Ford relationship....so I am not that up to speed on OTHER Ford engine colors.

I have always seen the Ford Blue engine colors until my T-bird.

Is this an anomaly or are other old Ford engines running around with off colors from the factory?

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Ford engines were painted a variety of colors through the years, but each year engine they were consistent.
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍