No announcement yet.

Which side view mirror is this?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which side view mirror is this?

This side view mirror came on my 1960 thunderbird. I can not seem to find one like it any where. Does anyone have any insight on what this mirror is from or was it a special option?

Also, What is this thing worth? I decided to do away with the fender mounted side view mirror and want to get rid of it.

Dan, your pix were to big. Change your photobucket settings to 800x600 on your pix in the future. I have downsized those 3 pix here for you. Also, that looks to be a 1960 17696B Hooded mirror from what I can see of it. However, from the style of it, I am not sure it is a 1960 mirror. The 1960 Hooded 17696B side mirror looks like the very bottom one I just added. Note that it has ribs across the top of it and this one does not. Plus this one has those wings on it that the 1960 one does not. I think this is a side mirror from a newer year, and not even sure if it is a Ford mirror...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; May 23, 2015, 09:35 PM. Reason: Downsized pic to 800pixels. Adjust your Photobucket setting..
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That's a Ford accessory mirror. It was used mostly on 1959 Galaxies and Skyliners. If you look in the 1960 Thunderbird owners manual you will see it on the brown convertible although I've never seen one on a Squarebird in real life. The hooded mirror is the more correct one for 1960 Thunderbirds. I've sold a few of those mirrors and they're worth decent money in really good condition.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
      Experienced
      • Jan 5 2008

The mirror in question carries the part number B9A 17683-A, nicknamed the "Delta Wing Head" mirror. As dealers could use virtually any of the external mirrors offered at the time, they did show up on 'Birds: I've documented several unrestored '60 'Birds with them in lieu of the hooded outside mirror that's more-commonly seen. See page G2-27 of VTCI's 1958-1960 Original Factory Specifications Manual for more information.
      Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
      Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
      Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎