X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuusamon
    Experienced
    • Feb 14 2009

exhaust control valve and last shoppings

In my previous questions and threads you might have noticed that many small parts were missing, probably because the previous owner started to work on the car and removed the non original 302 engine with a FE 352 in order to get the car back to its original status. The engine that I have, he told me, came out of a Galaxie, not sure what year but beginning 60 for sure.
    But thats why it explains the missing parts, the air cleaner probably came of the same galaxie, and looking through all the threads here, I found some info on the exhaust control valve.
    Also in the shop manual there is the exhaust control valve discussed. The valve is not on my right side ex.manifold and not on the pipes that have to be mounted there.

How important is that valve? Does every member car here has one?
    I am finishing up the last of the shopping (for this shipment).
    The container heading for Europe is being loaded sometime next week so in about 6 weeks I will have all my parts.Probably will be another year before I can have some space again on a container.
    Did my shopping's at Larry's, Wilson's, Bob's birdhouse and ebay.
    altogether just over 1k in dollars for parts and some dress ups.
    ordering now the msd blaster ll 8205 for use with the duraspark. Too bad there are no wires or wiring harnas for it, got to make it myself, wish I had the plugs to connect it neatly to the control unit and duraspark unit. still need to find the horseshoe connector for the coil.

ordered oil cap from ford racing with the pcv valve so I will connect the hose from there to the airfilter unit.

regards
    ron
    Last edited by kuusamon; April 30, 2010, 05:08 PM. Reason: error
    sigpicGreets,
    Ronald
    Kuusamo
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Exhaust valve ...

I don't have one on mine as I'm running headers. You wont really miss it. It's function was to speed engine warm up in cold weather. They had a nasty habit of corroding and freezing in the partially closed position which didn't do much for performance. Mike

Comment

Hey Ron,
      Christine does not have one either. She runs fine without it!

Hey Mike,
      Headers? What are they and where did you get them?
      Richard D. Hord

Comment

Headers are ...

made by FPA. Mike

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I prefer to run without one for the reasons already cited. When they stick, exhaust gasses are diverted across your intake manifold and out the left exhaust pipe, which makes your cooling system deal with more heat.

Mac's Antique Auto Parts sells a Heat Riser Spacer

for twenty bucks. This will fill the 2" gap and allow your stock exhaust pipes to fit properly.

Here are the part numbers:
          For a 352 - B9AE-9A427-SP
          For a 390 - C6SZ-9A427-SP

tee-bird.com may have these as well.

- Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• kuusamon
            Experienced
            • Feb 14 2009

Thank you for the information, will do some measuring tomorrow to see if I need something there like the spacer or so.

regards
            ron
            sigpicGreets,
            Ronald
            Kuusamo
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

Like Mike mentioned - mine stuck and broke years ago so I sawed out the shaft and put a bolt through the hole to keep the exhaust from leaking.

Used ones do come up for auction from time to time if you go with the spacer and want to add one later.

Eric

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎