X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYsquarebird58
    Experienced
    • Feb 6 2012

Where's this wire supposed to go?

I needed to run a wire to the ignition switch for the ignition system upgrade I’m doing. There wasn’t much slack on the wiring to pull the ignition switch from under the dash, so I decided to remove the instrument cluster.

I noticed a short red wire with a connector on the end of it. It’s connected to the accessory side of the ignition switch. Any idea where this goes? I couldn't find it in my wiring schematic. I was thinking that it was either for an option that my car is not equipped with? Or maybe just something someone added years ago.

VTCI# 11860
    58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Marcelo, that's a VERY long end on that red wire. Check for a close place it might go. Can you give us another view of your key switch?

There's the pink resistor wire you're going to bypass for your Pertronix. Make sure all your wires have crimped lugs under the nuts. It's a good idea to run #14 wire because other things under the hood need a wire that's hot with IGN (like electric chokes, electric fuel pumps, etc.).

BTW did you find that 'extra' fuse? Does the brown wire go to it? If you trace both ends I will update our diagrams.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I believe that's for power windows. If your car has manual windows Ford may have just normally installed it there whether it was ordered or not.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
        Experienced
        • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        Marcelo, that's a VERY long end on that red wire. Check for a close place it might go. Can you give us another view of your key switch?
        Here's the top view.

The bottom of this picture shows the ignition side of the switch. I believe the pink wire is the resistor wire we were talking about.

Here's the battery side of the switch. The green wire feeds constant 12 volts to the black in line fuse holder for the brake lights.

Here's the accessory side of the switch. I'll check again to see if there's a nearby connection for that red wire. I also noticed the brown wire which I also do not see in the wiring schematic.

There's the pink resistor wire you're going to bypass for your Pertronix. Make sure all your wires have crimped lugs under the nuts. It's a good idea to run #14 wire because other things under the hood need a wire that's hot with IGN (like electric chokes, electric fuel pumps, etc.).
        I was thinking the saaaame thing! I don't want to be dismantling my cluster again just to wire in a choke or an electric fuel pump in the future.

BTW did you find that 'extra' fuse? Does the brown wire go to it? If you trace both ends I will update our diagrams.
        Yup, and sure enough that fuse was blown! I read in one of Alexander's posts that the fuse is 14 amps. I'm going to replace it and undo that un-fused red wire going from the voltage regulator that's currently feeding the brake light switch.

VTCI# 11860

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Looks like it is for power windows. Here's the schematic showing a red wire from the window relay to the ACC term of the ignition switch. Probably easier to install it on all cars rather than add it later.

John
          Attached Files
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• mmuenchow
            Apprentice
            • May 21 2008

Yup, and sure enough that fuse was blown! I read in one of Alexander's posts that the fuse is 14 amps. I'm going to replace it and undo that un-fused red wire going from the voltage regulator that's currently feeding the brake light switch.

what did the fuse protect??

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
              Experienced
              • Feb 6 2012

Thank you, John! Initially I thought I accidentally pulled apart that connection when I was trying to pull the ignition switch from under the dash, but I was left scratching my head when I couldn't find the other end when I pulled the cluster.
              VTCI# 11860

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                Experienced
                • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by mmuenchow

what did the fuse protect??
                On 1960 Thunderbirds it protected the brake light circuit. I believe on '58 and '59's the fuse for the brake lights are on the back of the headlight switch.
                VTCI# 11860

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

It was ridiculous for Ford to hide an important fuse for the brake lights. I hope you extend that fuse wire to make it accessible in future.

When Marcelo bought his Squarebird, the brake light switch was fed from a cobbled wire connected to his 'batt' terminal on the voltage regulator. That supplied constant +12 to the brake circuit.

Evidently, the prior owner either couldn't get to this elusive brake fuse, or he couldn't find it. Either way he had no brake lights, so he found his own twelve volts. Actually, it wasn't a bad idea provided the circuit was protected. At least he could get to it.

When Marcelo replaced his master cylinder, questions arose about those two green wires for the brake light switch, and why only one of them was connected (with the addition of a 'new' wire).

I am super-happy that Marcelo is getting his bird back together WITH a good understanding of his car. Good going, Marcelo. The members came through like gangbusters. I'm going to update our diagrams to show the red AND the green wire fuse.

Thanks John, and Thank You Marcelo, for the great pictures. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 6 2012

Thanks, Dave. Today I put everything back together and everything works as it should. The brake lights are now wired the way they should be, and work as intended.

The only tough part was finding a the correct size 14 amp fuse. Apparently Radioshack is mostly in the business of selling cell phones these days. Their selection of fuses and connectors is dismal. I ended up driving one town over and picking up a set of fuses at Advance.
                    VTCI# 11860

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎