X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock&Roll Firebird
    Experienced
    • Jun 20 2012

Door takeapart and window question

Hello guys, I have two issues to solve - broken door window and non-functionable window motor. I'd like to ask:

• is it possible to cut or manufacture the door window locally (in Europe) in some kind of auto-glass shop or it needs to be ordered from the U.S.?

• and secondly - is there a door take-apart procedure descriprion anywhere available? I need to get to the window motor. Not sure if this is described in the shop manual...

Thank you.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Door takeapart and window question

Hi Jiri! Take a look at this link in the Advertisements Forum regarding a company in Finland that makes and ships windshields, and side windows all over the world. Look at Post #5.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=19850

Also, check the TRL for the information you are looking for regarding the doors. You might find what you are looking for there. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

Jiri;
      There are 2 types of automotive glass. Tempered and laminated. The cars origninally came with laminated glass and hence you can sometimes see minor separation around the edges. Either glass is available. The good news is that the door glasses are straight/flat glass and can be cut by any glass shop out of laminated glass. Tempered glass cannot be cut once it has been tempered.
      Side note: Check the small guide at the top of the channel run by the vent window. I have seen many where the plastic is gone and the rivet that holds it is exposed. This can chip the glass and cause it to crack. Hate to put in a new window and have it crack again.
      Also, make sure whether you have tinted or clear glass. Best way to tell is hold a piece of white paper to the glass and if it has a greenish tint, you have tinted glass.
      As for the window motor, after you remove the door panel, the motor is exposed in the bottom opening of the door. There are 2 studs that stick out the shaft end of the motor with 2 nuts that hold it to the window regulator. Unplug all 4 wires, the 2 nuts, and the motor should slide out. NOTE: On the picture of the regulator, the gear drive and coupling has been removed for cleaning.
      Also check the drive coupling as they sometimes break at the plastic insert in the rubber.
      Nyles
      Attached Files

Comment

• Matt
        • Nov 30 2013

I had the same problem; broken door glass. Also wanted to try to buy locally (the Netherlands). But then I looked for the price at Birdsnet. I found out its not that expensive to get it from the USA. All together with fitting tape I payed around $ 125 incl taxes and shipping cost. Try to get a local to cut the glass, probably cost you more. It was shipped perfectly protected against breakage. So good luck with your decision....

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
          Experienced
          • Jun 20 2012

Thank you guys for all your valuable info. I feel much more comfortable now knowing the solution . Have a great day!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎