X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

New Member Needs Help W/Mercury

I am posting this for Mike ~ jukeman, who owns a Mercury and posted this down in the New Member Welcoming Forum. Here is what he had to say.

"my car acts like christine
    thanks for the warm welcome..i need some good advice or help..i have a 62 mercury monterey with a 390 power steering and power brakes with air i`m trying to make this my luxery car..i had to replace the starter relay i put a new one on when i turn the switch on it tried to crank without it going all the way over to start it had stuck closed i taped on it and it did ok but i got a new one from autozone i tried it and only turned the switch on and the car cranked but there was a like something grinding i i pulled the battery wire off and it still kept running then i turned the switch off and it quit..all the while something made a bad grinding noise..i`m afraid it might be my generator that is where the noise sounds the loudest..how can i put an alternator in place of the generator...thanks.."

Hopefully, ya'll will be able to assist him.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

1962 was the transition year from generators to alternators. There's a good chance that your block is already pre-drilled to accept an alternator. If so you can add a Ford alternator without much difficulty. You just need the water pump bracket which is fairly common and the long bolt and spacer for the alternator. If you go with the external regulator type you will have to replace your generator voltage regulator with the newer alternator one and redo the wiring harness. You can build one from scratch or get one from a junkyard. If you go with a one-wire internally regulated alternator it is much easier. There is information in the Technical Resource Library on doing the changeover.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
      ...i turned the switch off and it quit..all the while something made a bad grinding noise..i`m afraid it might be my generator that is where the noise sounds the loudest..how can i put an alternator in place of the generator...
      Let's take care of the grinding noise first.
      Did the grinding noise appear before you changed the starter solenoid?
      If you think the noise comes from your generator, why not pull the belt off and start the engine? If it is your generator, the noise will not be there.

Yes, you can certainly change to a modern alternator. My alt and electric radiator fan came from a Ford car in a Texas bone yard.

If you get the alternator and fan, you KNOW they are matched to work together. This is how I suggest you go about this because most bone yards snip the wires, so you get all the plugs still attached to the alt.

Because FE motors didn't come with modern alternators, you may need to fabricate your mounting brackets. That's how I did my '59 Galaxie. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

mercury alternator

thanks everyone for your help ..i found the noise it was my power steering pump it has quieten down some.. i`ll look for the holes i hope they are there becouse my generator is not putting out.and it`s on the bottom of the motor it`s a bear...it`ll be nice if someone had a picture....thanks

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
          ...all the while something made a bad grinding noise..i`m afraid it might be my generator that is where the noise sounds the loudest...
          The generator and p/s pump are on opposite sides of the engine.

I think I've been juked by the jukeman.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎