Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerrys Kars
    • Apr 29 2012

Sequential lights

Have a 1966 T-Bird 63A. Painted top. Low option car. No p-seats, windows, locks, or A/C. The sequential lights blink only two lights in the right or left position. The far left in the left position and the far right in the right position do not blink. Is this correct for a low option car or should I be looking at the sequential controls in the trunk?
    Thanks
    This old car is really a cream puff. No body panel rust except for under the battery. Surface rust on the unpainted parts. What is a good product to use to neutralize the rust? Plan on painting these parts cast grey unless someone has a better plan.
    Jerry
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Wow Jerry, sounds like your car is in great shape.

I have to ask... What's your intent? Do you want to bring it back to original and spend some money, or enjoy it with minimal outlay? The answers to your questions depend on the money you want to spend (it always does).

Nothing wrong with having only a few options because that means fewer things can go bad.

Sequential lights can be had in a few ways: You can determine if you want sequential, whether you want to restore using OEM parts (which is VERY expensive), you can do electronic sequence (very affordable and works nicely), or whatever you like. Look in the trunk for a box with lots of electrical wires going to the tail and stop lights. Then determine how you want to do this. We can give you links and help if you want to restore to original. You might determine that what you have is just stuck or rusty. Let us know. And, welcome to Squarebirds.org. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Sequential Lights

Hi Jerry,

It is my understanding that the sequential blinking turn signals was standard equipment on the '66 Tbird for ALL models. Looking at http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...equipment.html
      it does not state that they were only for certain '66 models. It indicates to me that they were on ALL '66 Tbirds. So it looks like you need to look at the wiring schematics and start tracing back why they won't work correctly. Check your grounds, loose wiring connections, lights not hooked up, burnt bulbs, etc.. If you are a VTCI member and got the May/June Scoop, check out the article in it about fixing those sequential blinking taillights by redstangbob. Here is the link to that article.

As to what to use to combat rust, clean it all off and then coat it with POR-15. Check out www.por15.com That should do the trick.
      Last edited by YellowRose; May 14, 2012, 12:08 AM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Jerrys Kars
        • Apr 29 2012

Thanks for the replies. Now I know that all three taillights should blink. Going to Mecum this week, so will check into the wiring next week. I feel that the problem is just corroded contacts but if not, the electronic parts will be used. My plan is for a good driver, which it already is. Just need everything to work. One repaint years ago which still shows good at 10 ft. Battery tray is being fixed. 58K mi so the old 390 still operates very well. My wife wants to keep the car but I have too many now so I would like to flip it.
        Jerry

Comment

• Jerrys Kars
          • Apr 29 2012

OK, follow up on the sequentials. After locating and untapeing, a little contact lube-cleaner and they work like a charm. New battery tray and patch panel. New headlight switch tomorrow and a little engine bay detail and we're ready for the first car show. Might be at Carlisle Ford Nationals for sale.
          Jerry

Comment

• Jerrys Kars
            • Apr 29 2012

Now what? Headlights were blinking, figured headlight switch, replaced, then high beams don't work, replaced dimmer switch, still don't work, both high beam lamps blown, replaced, now they work. Figured I had the problem licked. Then dash lights blinking on and off. WTH? Could the new headlight switch be defective? Had a hard time engaging the switch knob shaft. Checked all the grounds I could find. Help!!

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Jerry, I just wrote about the headlight switch just last week. It's in our Technical Resource Library CLICK HERE. The Headlight Switch needs to be pushed all the way IN before removing/inserting the knob.

You did well by checking ALL your grounds. Blinking or on/off electrical conditions usually come from a loose or grounded connection.

Sometimes blinking is caused by a self-resetting circuit breaker that is shorted. When this happens, the circuit cycles from dim to off. The short is usually somewhere in an outside connection where corrosion or rust occurs, like in a lamp socket, or license plate lamp assembly. Take lenses off and check bulb sockets, and unplug connectors and look for green.

I'm sorry you bought new parts you didn't need. All your electrical wiring is plug-in for easy assembly. You can unplug the headlight circuit under the hood and test using a 12-volt light or meter. The trunk area has plugs as well. By process of elimination, you can isolate the culprit. There is no need to buy parts unless they prove to be bad.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Jerrys Kars
                • Apr 29 2012

Thanks simplyconnected. Looks like my last reply didn't go through. Here goes again. All exterior lamp sockets checked except for front parking. Dash lights blinking after new headlight sw. Not before. Why would they blink now if it's not the headlight sw? My headlight sw has molded plug and not individual wires like your pic. Difficult to check each wire.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Jerrys Kars
                  ...Difficult to check each wire.
                  Originally posted by simplyconnected
                  ...All your electrical wiring is plug-in for easy assembly. You can unplug the headlight circuit under the hood and test using a 12-volt light or meter. The trunk area has plugs as well. By process of elimination, you can isolate the culprit...
                  Jerry, I conveniently had two headlight switches, one off a car, and one smashed internally.

Because your electrical is all plug-in, isolating and checking wires became VERY easy. Your headlight switch is the same as mine with the addition of a self-resetting circuit breaker and a receptacle.

I don't know why you changed your headlight switch. Put the old one back in. If it doesn't blink, send your new one back as defective.

I hope you read my instructions regarding your Headlight Switch removal. The handle comes out very easily. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎