X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meridious
    Experienced
    • Nov 16 2007

What is this thing????

Maybe I should know....maybe it is standard on Tbirds....but I don't. It looks like some sort of water-based generator of Electricity. Says 120-volts on it.

Has a male plug (house type plug-in) plugged into a plastic housing while not in use. Its as if it is meant to somehow generate 120v for use with something...camping? Air compressor?

What is it?

• bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Where do the hoses come from and go to?
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• kansasjohn
      • Nov 5 2007

block heater

looks like an in line engine heater to preheat your antifreeze in cold weather. kansas john

Comment

• Meridious
        Experienced
        • Nov 16 2007

Bingo.

That has to be what it is. That's why the male house-plug...plug it in, heat up the water/anti-freeze.

Comment

• Meridious
          Experienced
          • Nov 16 2007

Originally posted by bcomo
          Where do the hoses come from and go to?
          The upper heater hose connects on one end, and the other goes to the rad. in other words, it is just in the middle of the hose form the upper heater to the radiator.

Has to be the block-warmer. Makes sense now.

Comment

• tp tbird
            Experienced
            • Dec 17 2007

It maybe a ciculating water heater when the car is parked in the winter so it would not freeze.Tom

Comment

• LuckyJay
              • Jan 4 2007

Anyone of advanced age in the upper midwest knows what that is! Sometimes known as a tank heater. We plugged that in on the colder winter nights when we wanted the car to start the next morning. The engine spins much faster at say 30 degrees that it would at 20 below. Also, it would heat up much quicker thereby defrost the window sooner. When gas was 30 cents a gallon we'd start the car 20 minutes before needed.

Comment

• Meridious
                Experienced
                • Nov 16 2007

Originally posted by Wildcat15
                Anyone of advanced age in the upper midwest knows what that is! Sometimes known as a tank heater. We plugged that in on the colder winter nights when we wanted the car to start the next morning. The engine spins much faster at say 30 degrees that it would at 20 below. Also, it would heat up much quicker thereby defrost the window sooner. When gas was 30 cents a gallon we'd start the car 20 minutes before needed.
                Yeah...I grew up in Oregon but we moved down south when I was young...then I joined the Army and spent 15 years all over the world....and am in Louisiana now.

Never laid eyes on such a thing. (This 60 bird is from Minnesota)

"Cool" thing to have up North, I'd bet.

Comment

• frank58
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 28 2006

so this is a heater AND a circulating pump? interesting... not your typical block heater... what does that label say?

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎