Buying a '65, maybe? Help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a '65, maybe? Help!

Hey all,

Me and my friends have been looking for a good first-time restore car for a couple of months now. A person down the street from us is selling a 1965 Thunderbird. It has a deal of rust on the outside, but we are going to check the body and interior for serious rust tonight.

The engine is in almost working order, with (supposedly) some 70k miles on it. The harmonic balancer on the engine is not working properly, and the carburetor is too big, thje owner stated that other than that it runs fine, though we are going to have it checked by a mechanic before buying. It has significant interior damage, with holes in the leather and foam showing, along with torn up interior trim.

The owner is asking 500, im willing to offer him 350 dollars at the most, 200 if it turns out there is some amount of frame rust, and we wont buy it at all if there is significant rust in/on the engine or the interior body.

As i said before, me and two friends have been looking for some time for a low cost car to restore on our own. My brother is a mechanic and has said he would be willing to help us as much as needed with the engine, and some of my other close friends/relatives have significant experience with older cars. My friends grandfather also is a retired leatherworker who specialized in car interiors, and he said he would be glad to help us with the interior. So we believe we have the resources to restore this car. We are all 3 willing to put in as much money as we can, realistically our budget is probably not going to be more than 5000 over 2 years, and we are willing to put in 2-3 years of work.

What do you think? None of us are experienced with Thunderbirds. any comments/criticism to help us decide whether or not to go through with this?
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎