X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alan H. Tast, AIA
    Experienced
    • Jan 5 2008

Chrome Voltage Regulator Cover

I made an interesting discovery today while at the Fremont, NE Swap Meet. Was walking the grounds with William Wonder looking at some '40s-'50s parts when the vendor showed us a Cal-Custom chrome voltage regulator cover circa '64-'66 in the original plastic bubble packaging/card. The package indicated it was for Ford voltage regulators '40-'64 except '63-'64 Thunderbird (which would be because these were alternator-equipped cars with a smaller regulator). Didn't buy the thing but got a picture of it, and stupid me didn't resize the picture for posting on the 'Net (new camera, got it Friday for emergencies like this). No markings were present on the cover, and it was shaped virtually the same as the ones used on OEM regulators.

I have speculated for years that items like this may be the reason why people thought Ford offered a plated voltage regulator cover, even though one is not listed in the parts catalogs. Now at least I've seen an aftermarket example that was offered during the '60s which could explain the confusion that led to people thinking dress-up kits had such a plated cover.
    Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
    Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Alan H. Tast, AIA
    ...the confusion that led to people thinking dress-up kits had such a plated cover.
    Dressup kits can be anything. Some may include stainless bolts and other shiny parts. Rich, creamy, chrome is universally accepted as THE king of dress up. Cal Custom, Mr. Gasket, and hundreds of aftermarket companies mass-produced chrome; oil pans, oil filler caps, rocker covers, dip stick and tubes, valley covers, generator and alternator parts, draft tubes, master cylinder/power booster combos, air cleaners, diff covers and regulator covers. They even chromed fans and pulleys, water pumps, and fuel pumps.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. BTW, some dealerships offered package kits that had nothing to do with Ford Motor Co. GM and Chrysler dealers did the same with their cars.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dutchbird
      Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Originally posted by Alan H. Tast, AIA
      Didn't buy the thing but got a picture of it, and stupid me didn't resize the picture for posting on the 'Net (new camera, got it Friday for emergencies like this).
      Hi Alan,

If you have that picture on your camera / PC willing to share, try this:
      This forum has been established to assist those who might be PC challenged. Anyone needing assistance in posting pictures to Forums or has PC problems relating to accessing this Forum can obtain help here.

I got it from here also and use it all the time whenever I want to post pics on the forum, so easy!

Thanks to Cathie & Dave.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎