Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any concern with transporting my ’60 with a tow dolly?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lawyercalif
    Experienced
    • May 12 2011

It looks great. Should be a real crowd pleaser. Good luck!

Comment

• Deblib
      Apprentice
      • Apr 30 2012

Looks great!
      Debbie #38435

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Marcelo! Yup, she sure looked purty! How did the move there and back go, and her reception?

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
          Experienced
          • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by YellowRose
          Hi Marcelo! Yup, she sure looked purty! How did the move there and back go, and her reception?
          The owner of the tow company showed up early Sunday morning with his brand new rig. I was to be his very first tow with it, and his truck was to be used as the stage for the car show. We loaded up Lucille with no issues and headed down the road. I followed in my Suburban.

All went well until the tow truck got to the middle of the field. All the rain we’ve been getting made the ground very squishy and the tow truck got stuck. We unloaded Lucille and I was able to drive her over to her space using the hand brake. Meanwhile, Larry was trying his best to rock himself out with no success.

We first tried tying his winch to my Suburban, but all that did was drag me. Then I figured I’d try and help pull in four low, but I quickly sunk in the mud and got myself stuck.

At this point the event organizers got involved (having a tow truck and a Suburban stuck in the field would surely scare anyone from pulling there classic in.) they called all their grounds keepers to help out. They tried digging out around the wheels and laying down gravel and hay for traction, but the rig’s tires just kept spinning. Then they got one of their four wheel drive dump trucks to help pull, but then that got stuck!

So now we’ve got three large vehicles hopelessly stuck on the field, and the show is about to start, what do we do? We get a backhoe. They first pulled the dump truck out with the backhoe, then they tied onto the tow truck. HA, the backhoe was sitting there spinning its tires too! Mud was flying EVERYWHERE and the tow truck was resting on its axles!!!

They pulled my Suburban out with one of their other trucks and decided to give the backhoe another try pulling from the rear. This time they planted the backhoe’s feet down and dug the plow into the ground. They attached the tow truck’s chain to the backhoes arm and pulled the arm back then, SNAP! The chain broke! One more pull with another chain and they finally got the truck out.

Oh boy…..I felt baaad. Poor Larry spent the whole day yesterday detailing his new truck for the show, only to have to go home with a muddy truck and a broken chain. Then there was the field…it was trashed!.

The grounds people got some diamond plate panels and quickly laid them down on the tracks. It took every bit of an hour and lots of mud, sweat and cuss words, but we managed to get everything squared away before the event officially opened up at eight.

Despite all that, the show was a great success. The organizers had hoped for 120 cars and we got over 200. Lucille and I even got to take home a trophy and prize!

The trophy is for Lucille and the painting was a gift from the organization for being the very first person to register for their first ever car show back in February. Here I stand next to the artist who painted it. The paining is called ‘The Road Less Traveled’. It’s fitting considering what I’ve gone through to get to this show.

And after the show was over I look up the hill and see Larry’s truck waiting for me. He went back to the shop and spent the whole day cleaning her up. We got the Bird all loaded up and got her home Safe and sound.

All in all, it was a great day!
          VTCI# 11860
          58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

• lawyercalif
            Experienced
            • May 12 2011

Sounds like you had quite an adventure and a great time. Your car looked great and it looked like it was in great company with a 34 Ford on oneside and what looks like a GTO or LeMans on the other. Glad the show was a success. The grounds and buildings looked amazing.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Marcelo, that is quite a story! Woww! I am glad she got there and back fine. Thanks for posting the story and the pix and congratulations on the awards! Way to go! I am glad to hear that it was a big success!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Fabulous pictures, Marcelo. Sounds like the day was packed full of events (planned or not). You said you were going and you did. Despite all your setbacks and chain of events, you kept your word and had a great time. Kudos, my friend.

I hope the Emergency Brake wasn't too much on your injured hand. Soon, you'll be wrenching and really enjoying Lucille.

BTW, I love the painting. I'm a big fan of Robert Frost. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deblib
                  Apprentice
                  • Apr 30 2012

Adventure

Wow!! It just goes to show you to expect the unexpected. I have to agree that despite all set backs, you kept your word and followed through and made it. Way to go! The car looked superb so guess the mud didn't fly on it at least. Now I know why they won't pull those big trucks into your driveway, they are just too heavy.
                  Debbie #38435

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Dec 23 2008

Looks like a great bunch of cars and a very beautiful setting for a show!! Unfortunate about the mud and getting stuck, of course, but someday you can look back and remember this show and all the obstacles you overcame. (Hope your hand is better and you bought Larry a beer!)

Comment

• Anders
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jan 19 2008

What an adventure!! Lucille is looking good though, watching the whole drama in front of her Thank´s for the great pics!!!
                      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                        Fabulous pictures, Marcelo. Sounds like the day was packed full of events (planned or not). You said you were going and you did. Despite all your setbacks and chain of events, you kept your word and had a great time. Kudos, my friend.

I hope the Emergency Brake wasn't too much on your injured hand. Soon, you'll be wrenching and really enjoying Lucille.

BTW, I love the painting. I'm a big fan of Robert Frost. - Dave
                        Thanks, Dave. After a while I got the hang of maneuvering her around with the emergency brake. Even though I only drove her off the field to the parking lot, it sure was nice to be moving her under her own power.
                        VTCI# 11860

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by lawyercalif
                          Sounds like you had quite an adventure and a great time. Your car looked great and it looked like it was in great company with a 34 Ford on oneside and what looks like a GTO or LeMans on the other. Glad the show was a success. The grounds and buildings looked amazing.
                          If you can believe it, that GTO (called "The Bishop") was actually a Fathers car! That thing had a lopey cam and sounded MEAN!
                          VTCI# 11860

Comment

• Astrowing
                            Experienced
                            • Jul 22 2009

If you have trouble renting from U-haul, you can rent trailers from the local trailer dealer. I moved a tractor a few weeks ago with a car hauler from Big State Trailers in Pasadena (Texas). The only downside is they are only open M-F 8-5 and U-haul has longer hours and is open on Saturday. The U-haul also has the wheel straps for securing the load and with these other car haulers, you bring your own straps or chains. I really like the pictures also!
                            Last edited by Astrowing; June 13, 2012, 07:15 AM.
                            sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 6 2012

Below is a link to my photo album from the car show

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=264b4ae9d7
                              VTCI# 11860

Comment

• lawyercalif
                                Experienced
                                • May 12 2011

Lots of great cars. I even saw another Squarebird.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎