X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mh434
    Comfortably numb
    • Jan 10 2017

Leaf springs

So, first time up on the lift at the weekend and time for a quick peek underneath (with a degree of trepidation wondering what I would find, but all looks reasonably good if a bit grubby). It has air shocks, although I have yet to find the valve, and the shock bottom mount has been modified to accept a different fixing. I am curious about what look to be thumb turn clamps on the leaf springs. Not seen them before, any ideas ?

Jon
    Attached Files
    Jon
    Deepest Hertfordshire
    Old enough to know I'm right...
    1960 Hardtop T'bird
    1961 Hotchkiss M201
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

The thumb screws look like hose clamps from the mid 70's. The thumb screw is a worm gear that acts on slots in the steel band to tighten the clamp. Some genius used these around a rubber covers to keep the leafs aligned. Apparently it worked.

Modern versions of these hose clamps have a band, holder and worm screw with a 5/16" hex drive. I buy them at Lowes, all stainless steel. I use them for a lot more than just hoses. For instance, my coil is secured to my engine bay with them.
    Attached Files

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

Thumbscrew clamps with rubber possibly for anti-rattle?
      (just a guess)

Also looks as if someone has extended the draft tube to the back of the car - not a bad idea.

Eric

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎