X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Door Stop Adjustment

Is there a way to adjust the Squarebird door stops? I looked at chapter 14 of the shop manual and didn't see anything to address this. There isn't a star wheel or anything I can see. My door will stay open if the car is level, but any bias and it won't remain open while I sit inside.

Dean
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Not that I know of. It's more a case of worn hinges than any sort of adjustment.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

Is it the same type hinge as the '64-'66? If so there is a spring loaded mechanism acting on two nylon tabs that act on the hinge detents. When the stops wear the door will no longer hold.

In the picture, the spring is in the background. It acts on the tabs contained within the parkerized light gauge steel.

Replacement nylon tabs are available. Another trick, if the passenger side is holding properly, is to swap out one of the two tabs with the driver's door.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Deanj
        Super-Experienced
        • Nov 26 2015

Yes, thank you. I see that the bottom tab acting on the detents at the bottom hinge on both doors is worn nicely. It's worn so nicely the doors close without assistance and will not stay open.

I see the way to replace these nylon stops is remove the 2 Phillips head screws on the spring loaded door stop. The front screw is easy, but the rear screw is located between the spring which probably requires a Phillips head on a small ratchet. Then the assembly should come out. Place the bottom of the door stop assembly in a vice and use pliers to compress the spring ends to remove the stops. Reverse procedure to install stops.

Then all you need to do is install and screw the assembly back in the door hinge. Easy...hah!

Dean
        Last edited by Deanj; May 10, 2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

The top tab also acts on the top detents. Wear eye protection when working on that spring.
          Pictured is one of my favorite tools, a 1/4" or 5/16" (female) ratchet with an assortment of bits, including a #3 Phillips. $20 at Lowes.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

Steve, here's a good post from another site that addresses this.

Thanks again. Dean

Comment

• Deanj
              Super-Experienced
              • Nov 26 2015

Well, as usual this door stop nylon replacement isn't going according to Hoyle. It seems I need to find a stout Phillips head ratchet-or the door needs to come off to get to the stop mechanism.

Unlike the 1964-66, the 58-60 door stop mechanism is bit more hidden. The problem is finding the right tool with a large Phillips head, then getting enough force on the large Phillips screws. Then the second screw is located in the middle of the spring past the jam behind the side cowl. I doubt removing the front screw is enough to sneak the nylon stops into the assembly with the force of the spring.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dean

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

The screws are likely rusted in. Let PB blaster or other good penetrant help you out a bit. You can also use wood wedges to keep the tool planted into the screw head.

Comment

• Deanj
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Nov 26 2015

The screws aren't rusted so much as painted. The big problem is the rear Phillips screw that I just can't find the right tool with the right angle. The choice of screws by Ford was bad. This needed a hex head except I think the nylon stops were never thought a replacement part.

I found a small access hole in the kick panel area, yet I still can't get a angle on the rear screw. (I was more concerned on how I was going to get the screw started once it was out, but a flexible claw tool solved that.)

I just need the correct ratchet or whatever tool with a #3 Phillips screwdriver to get pressure on the screw.

Dean

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 30 2009

Use an "impact screwdriver" to get those big screws loose. Harbor Freight sells them for not too much $.
                    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Deanj
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Nov 26 2015

I would love to if the tool could reach the screw.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎