X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steffan
    Apprentice
    • Jan 29 2007

No Electrical - Figured it out

Well after giving up on my windows I decided to find out why some of my dash lights are not working. Pretty easy fix, some of the bulbs had come out of position. Just had to plug them back in.

So I have all my lights working again and I turn the key to start the engine and poof no electrical, I mean everything went out, no power nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the engine won't even crank, the solinoid - no click nothing. I do not get it. What could cause everything to go dead? There is no master fuse.

Anyone have any ideas?

Could this be a dead short shutting down everything?

This has not been a good week for vacation, one step forward two steps back. I was hoping to have this car on the road by June. Oh yeah that is June of 2011 not 2012.

Hey Steffan,
    I would first check the battery post and cables and make sure they are clean and tight! Then if that is ok I would make sure you have good battery to body ground and engine to body ground! Keep us posted!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
      ...I would first check the battery post and cables and make sure they are clean and tight!...
      That's what it sounds like to me, too.
      Steffan, do you have a 12-volt test light? Even a cheap one will work.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
        Experienced
        • Jun 2 2010

Could also be a faulty ignition switch. Happened to me.
        "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by 60 T-Bird
          Could also be a faulty ignition switch...
          No, you would still have headlights because power goes to the headlight switch, then to the key switch.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
            Experienced
            • Jun 2 2010

Thank you for straightening that out...
            "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• REM
              Apprentice
              • Mar 28 2011

As already mentioned the most likely is the battery or battery connections.
              Also be sure to check the pos. battery cable connection at the solenoid as that is very often overlooked and often the the problem.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I would also check the yellow wire where it goes through the firewall on the drivers side. There's a connector there that can go bad or corrode.
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Steffan
                  Apprentice
                  • Jan 29 2007

No Electrical - Figured it out

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I decided today I would take another look at it. I checked at the solinoid and no juice. I took a jumper wire and went from the positive post of the battery to the solinoid and wow I got power. A few weeks ago I had put one of the quick disconnects on the positive post of the battery for piece of mind when I am not around. As soon as I removed this and hook my positive cable direct to the battery everything worked. As my curiosity got the better of me I re-connected the quick disconnect and hooked the positive cable to it and again everything worked until I turned the key to start the engine and all power was lost. What the heck is going on? There is no type of breaker in this to make it kill power. Everything was tight and the knob was tightened down to give a connection and complete the circuit. This totally baffles me. Has any one have an idea what is going on?

I am short circuited in Canada.

Comment

Hey Steffan,
                    I don't know what kind of disconnect you have! I have one on "Christine" like the one below and have never had a minutes problem out of it! I would say it has got dirty or corroded inside. May need to be cleaned and apply some electrical grease from Lowe's, Home Depot or any home improvement store in the electrical department!
                    Richard D. Hord
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Guest; May 1, 2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I always thought the quick disconnect was supposed to be on the negative terminal. At least that's what the instructions say.
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

It takes two wires to complete a circuit, so breaking either side gives the same result.

As a side note, I bought one of those disconnects, but mine must have been incredibly cheap. It broke 'half in two' as they say in the plant. The thing looks substantial, but turned upside down, I could see the sides were really scant. That's where it broke.

I don't fool with them any more. Instead, I shut off the gas. Let them re-pipe my gas line to start it. - Dave

EDIT: I merged the original thread with the solution because they are the same topic. Richard Hord was the winner of this one. Good goin, Richard. You were the first to jump on the problem and you hit it right on the head.
                        Last edited by simplyconnected; May 2, 2011, 02:28 AM.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
                          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by jopizz
                          I always thought the quick disconnect was supposed to be on the negative terminal. At least that's what the instructions say.
                          Mines on the + side, works ok, never had a problem.

But any marginal contact (dirty/ loose) will still work UNTIL a decent load goes on, then it will burn out the contact points and all goes dead - until you wriggle the contact areas and the process will happen again.

Best to make sure the contact areas are clean AND tight.
                          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎