Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prostreet 60 Thunderstang
    • Jul 27 2011

57 windshield wiper information

hi does anyone have an exploded view diagram of a 57 thunderbird i bought a basket case 57 a while back and it came in lots of boxes . now that i am in the process of putting it back together i found out all the parts i need for the wiper linkage and related parts are missing and i have no idea what it looks like if its linkage or cables . i found one on e bay but im not sure if its the right one for it . i was wondering if anyone has an illistration of the original thanks for looking Bill
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Wiper

Hope this helps.
    Attached Files

Comment

• paul274854
      Apprentice
      • Mar 10 2011

Get the 1955-57 Thunderbird Parts Illustrated manual. It shows all the various components of the early TBirds.

CTCI has the manual. Join CTCI if you haven't already - the magazine alone is worth it.
      Midland Park, NJ
      56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

• Doc Love
        • Mar 5 2012

Has anyone changed over to electric wipers?

I see the kits advertised in various publications.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
          Super-Experienced
          • Dec 23 2008

I have

(software wouldn't let me post that because it was less than 10 characters)

Comment

• Doc Love
            • Mar 5 2012

Originally posted by Joe Johnston
            I have

(software wouldn't let me post that because it was less than 10 characters)
            Joe,

I few questions regarding the electric wiper conversion.

Was the kit complete? Who did you purchase it from? Did the installation go smoothly? Was the kit complete? Would you do it again?

I'm new to TBirds so pardon all the newbie questions.

Thanks.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
              Super-Experienced
              • Dec 23 2008

Doc - Don't worry about questions - people helping is what it is all about.

I used a conversion kit from CASCO - it was complete with instructions and installed with no issues (other than a sore neck from being upside down under the dash). I would do it again but have never actually used it because I only drive it when I'm assured of good weather (car was in the rain once since 1972, on July 2, 1984). I support our Thunderbird vendors as much as possible and in this case they supply a kit which will work with no problems, as compared to a generic kit which may need some adaption to make work.

Comment

• Doc Love
                • Mar 5 2012

Thanks Joe,

I've purchased from CASCO in the past, wasn't sure if they offered the conversion.

Comment

• paul274854
                  Apprentice
                  • Mar 10 2011

If your not redoing the Bird for Concours, I recommend going with an electric unit. I also recommend the unit from New Port Engineering. With this kit, you use the factory switch. Either two speed or multispeed.
                  Midland Park, NJ
                  56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by paul274854
                    If your not redoing the Bird for Concours, I recommend going with an electric unit. I also recommend the unit from New Port Engineering. With this kit, you use the factory switch. Either two speed or multispeed.
                    I totally agree. This is an area of 'safety' and it is hidden from view. I bought two New Port Eng., sets from JPL in Aliquippa, PA (724-375-3940). They also sell on eBay.

The reason I bought from them is cost; best prices and free shipping. The wiper kit comes drop-shipped from the factory. Make sure you order exactly what you need to avoid buying any options from the factory, and (of course) more shipping costs.

This setup is completely invisible and as said, you use your stock knob. For our '59 Galaxie, I bought the shaft extension and interval option. After installation, turning the knob gives Hi, Lo, and interval settings. Pushing the knob in, closes an electrical contact so you can use it on your own squirter motor.

Now the wipers work as well as a modern car, every time, and they are powerful. That old Trico vacuum unit was trash from the git as it slowed or stopped upon acceleration or climbing a mountain. - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Doc Love
                      • Mar 5 2012

Electric Wiper Motor

This past weekend I replaced the OEM vacuum motor with an electric unit from Newport Engineering.

It was not what you would consider an easy task, but we finally got it finished.

The new motor mounts to the stock bracket but trying to get the left side screw installed was nearly impossible. I finally threaded the provided screw into the motor mount from the opposite side and added a nut to secure it. The right side went in without drama.

The electrical install was straight forward enough and the switch that came with the kit worked well. We were able to use the stock switch knob and bezel so looking at it one would never know the conversion took place. The wipers work fine, two speeds and they park as advertised.

Is there a market for the old vacuum motor?

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎