Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dream Weaver
    • Oct 10 2010

engine specs

Just finished taking the main parts of my engine apart in order to measure the bore and stroke to determine what the motor is. I know that it is not the original 352 and was told that it came out of a Galaxy. Using telescoping gauges and a calibrated micrometer I have measured the bore to be 4.00" with a stroke of 3.6". This stroke number however does not match any of the dimensions for a 352, 361,360, (3.3"and 3.5") or a 390 (3.73"). So this is my question is the stroke measured with or without the gasket? I am heading back to the shop to measure again and double check the numbers.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

It doesn't matter if you have the gasket on or not, as long as you measure from the same reference point.

One way I use is:
    Put your timing marks on TDC. Remove #1 & #4 spark plugs. (When #1 is up, #4 is down).
    Using a welding rod or a dowel, put the rod down #1 spark plug hole and mark it at the valve cover flange. Then, stick it down #4 spark plug hole and mark it again, using the valve cover flange.

Pull the dowel out and measure between your marks. Because there is a 1/2" difference between a 352 and a 390, if the distance between your marks is more than 3-1/2", it couldn't possibly be a 352. If the difference is 3.75" it IS a 390/427 crank.

If you want an exact measurement, pull the head off and measure from the block deck using the same method. - Dave

Edit: You may not have your crank on TDC when measuring, which will give you a false reading. Most likely, you have a 390.
    Last edited by simplyconnected; January 29, 2012, 01:06 PM.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dream Weaver
      • Oct 10 2010

Thanks for the info have gone back and removed the heads new dimension is 4.0" bore with a 3.5" stroke. This matches up with the 352 numbers. Another question: on the side of the block there are a series of numbers C1AE6016C, CL 17:4, 44, X. Also on the right head there is 39 - C1AE - 6080-A same on the left side but 21 instead of the 39.
      I have figured out that the C1AE is year 1961A=ford and the E=engine. Any information I can learn from these numbers the better.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

To determine the decade, there is a casting number in the block usually by the starter. It will look something like this.....
        D2AE-6015-AA which translates this way.
        All blocks are 6015 and all heads are 6080
        D would be the decade, B=50s, C=60s, D=70s, E=80s, F= 90s.
        2 would be the year of that decade.
        A would indicate the passenger car line, A being Fairlanes, but used in other bodies, etc.
        E = engine
        AA or any other suffix is just a running production variation of the item.
        Using your number, if you know the decade, then the original vehicle that the engine was installed in can easily be determiined from the production number.
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dream Weaver
          • Oct 10 2010

Thanks.
          Is there any significance to the other numbers? Like the 21 on one head and 39 on the other? Or the 17:4 and 44 on the block?

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎