X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeoffInCarlsbad
    Experienced
    • Jul 4 2015

Gas Odor after Fill

I just filled my 61 to the hilt to check accuracy of the fuel gauge. Showed 1/4 tank. I put in a little less that 10 gallons, and I had a bit of overflow at the nozzle.

Put into garage last night, and when I went into garage this morning, got a strong gas scent. No drips under the car, and when I lifted the hood, no gas smell there. So I am "guessing" the overflow may have caused the tank to be a little "too full" and it's venting the gas smell....Is this right or could there be another issue?

~g
    Geoff In Carlsbad
    1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You may have fumes leaking from around the sender seal. You should feel pressure when you remove the gas cap. Also make sure that you have a vented gas cap. Is the gas tank new. I've had old tanks that had pin holes that didn't show a noticeable leak.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
      Experienced
      • Jul 4 2015

Thanks!

Ok, great. good advice. Need a vented cap. Checking for pressure today. Thanks for the heads up!

It is an old tank, probably the original.

~g
      Geoff In Carlsbad
      1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic

Comment

• bird 60
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 18 2009

Geoff, if you filled your tank to the hilt like you say, & didn't drive it far before parking it, & I'm assuming it's hot there being summer, it could be expansion overflow.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

My grandfather was born in 1904 and lived in Nova Scotia when he was a kid. He said the he smelled the first car before he ever saw it.

Point being that old cars stink. I've heard it said that they pollute more standing still then a new car tooling down the highway. That's the vented fuel system.

Just like gramps, could be you're not used to smelling it so you noticed it right away.

The factory fuel system vents gas fumes at four locations:

1. The gas cap
          2. The carburetor primary bowl
          3. The carburetor secondary bowl

On my tank, which is a replacement, there is also a small vent tube at the very top. Not sure if this is factory or not. I connected a 1/8" vacuum hose to it and collect fumes out of it.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎