Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats inside the gas tank fuel line fitting?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blue 58
    • Aug 12 2012

I have my gas tank out of the car, cleaned it out, and realized that no fluid will come out of the hole where the fuel line attaches. I ran a coat hanger down it and cleared out some crud, but about 6 inches in, I hit something that feels spring loaded. Is there something inside the tank at the end of the fuel line? Is there some back-flow check valve or something? I cant see if my bird will start until I get this figured out. Thanks.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I am assuming that when you cleaned out the tank you took out the fuel tank sending unit before you drained the tank? If not, you are probably hitting it! Or there is another one that someone left in the tank. Or you are hitting the screen that covers the drain plug inside?

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• blue 58
      • Aug 12 2012

Yes I took the sending unit out and drain plug out. I'm talking about the fitting where the fuel line enters the tank on the passenger side. I tried blowing compressed air into that fitting and it won't go through. It seems that there's a clog or block somewhere inside the tank and I don't want to put it all back and fill it up if no gas will go into the fuel line...

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Eric, notice the outlet fitting is not at the bottom. The drain plug is.

Inside, there is a tube that is connected to a pickup IF this tank is original. The pickup looks like an inverted cup with a fine mesh at the bottom. It is designed to screen the fuel so big pieces don't clog your line. That screen is also the reason why rust and debris have nowhere to go. Unless you can suck the contents out, they forever lay on the bottom of the tank and they interfere with fuel delivery.

If gas was left inside the tank for years, it turns to varnish. That varnish may be what is clogging your pickup screen. I don't know for sure because I cannot see inside your tank from here in Detroit.

I will suggest, if you have bad rust issues, the very best remedy is to buy a new tank. They come with a tin plate inside and out, and with proper care, they last another fifty+ years.

I hope this helps. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Eric, I thought I would ask about the fuel sending unit because sometimes when one is troubleshooting something it is easy to forget about taking that out. Also, I meant to say screen behind the fuel line. I see that Dave has replied to you also, so perhaps he can help. He knows far more about this then I do, for sure.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• blue 58
            • Aug 12 2012

Sigh...well I appreciate the info, even though it's not very good news. I've got some liquid wrench soaking in the tube in the sun to see if it dissolves some of the built up crud. Otherwise it looks like a new tank is in my future. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

buy the new tank

you'll be money ahead in the long run
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Marcelo recently purchased and installed a brand new fuel tank for about $200.00. Check this out:

Dakota is right about trying to refurbish your old tank. It just isn't worth it. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎