Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John M.
    • Apr 4 2010

steering gearbox

Is it normal for the torsion shaft on the steering gearbox to freely rotate? I can turn it by hand pretty easily in either direction. It wont turn completely around, but will turn a goodly ways before stopping.
    Last edited by John M.; May 31, 2010, 08:45 PM.
  • KULTULZ

You mean the input shaft? Most likely a failed steering coupler.

Comment

• John M.
      • Apr 4 2010

It is the splined shaft coming out of the gearbox and connects to the steering column rag joint. I removed the rag joint today and found that I could turn the splined shaft around. It doesn't seem right, but I don't know for sure. I don't want to spend a cool $500 unnecessarily on a rebuilt steering gearbox if I don't need to. Are these easy to rebuild with a kit?

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

That Ford part is a 3B669 (a torsion bar shaft for power steering). Before tearing into the steering box, I would put the rag coupling on and try it with the engine turning the power steering pump. There is no sense fixing something that might be ok.

Are the wheels off the ground? Is the pitman arm connected?... You just don't say, so your questions are hard to answer.

I know this about steering boxes, you need VERY sensitive tools like a torque wrench in ounce/inches for setup. It's best if you have an experienced rebuilder to show you how to do it. You're right, these steering boxes are very expensive, hard to find, and EASY to screw up. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• John M.
          • Apr 4 2010

The wheels are off the ground and the pitman is still connected.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎