This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

They are hard to come by but there is a great brochure with all the Tbird color and interior combinations.

It has the same cover as the standard 2 page fold-outs that are common although it is about a 13-15 page booklet (can't remember exactly and don't have it with me at the moment).

Eric

Here are some of the light tan/cream colored cars in the brochure

(cover)

Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnston View Post
...My paint distributor scanned the car's paint and every place he put the scanner came up with a different formula!..
Contours in a car give it 'character' because they also give the color, depth.

Look at any of those printed samples. The whole car has no depth. Now, compare that to a picture of a real car. Just take the hood; I see many colors because the contours cause shadows and highlights. It sure doesn't look all one color, and that's exactly what makes us love one car and not another.

I'm used to seeing cars with NO paint, all coming out of the Body Shop. They all look 'plain Jane' boring because they're all the same dull steel. My imagination needs to stretch to visualize these as beautiful cars.

After Paint, it's a whole different story. Somehow paint gave each one a personality that is different to each person. Some folks love blue, others love red but hate blue, white, black, green, etc. It's all in how YOU perceive colors. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
'Color' is one of the hardest thing to match. At Manufacturing Development (Ford) we took a production door panel and cut it into four equal squares.

Then we laid the squares on a flat table but we rotated each square ninety degrees. Looking at each square, you would SWEAR these samples came from different cars.

Nope! The were painted by the same guy on the same car.

Next, we took samples from a door (painted vertically) and a hood (painted flat) and compared them next to each other. Same thing. You would swear they came from different cars.

How cars are sprayed, how they cure (dry), how they fade, how light reflects off of it and many other factors play huge roles in paint color. Those PPG paint samples mean very little and they do not look right. I see several whites with a yellow cast.

Bottom line is... you only need to be close. As I look around this room I see many colors on the walls and I KNOW the same paint was used on all four walls. - Dave
You are totally right Dave. More things that effect the finish result from another part is in what angle it is painted, air pressure, distance etc, etc, etc. We have ( at Volvo ) plenty of difficulties with master samples. They are usually painted on a flat piece, and when we paint wheels, thel look different because it all depends what shape the wheels have. Spokes and so on. When we get a sample of a new wheel and need to judge and approve the paint, we check it against a flat color sample sheet, and even if they passed the pain line AT THE SAME TIME, they look different.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
...When we get a sample of a new wheel and need to judge and approve the paint, we check it against a flat color sample sheet, and even if they passed the pain line AT THE SAME TIME, they look different.
I can understand metal flake 'setting' differently on vertical/horizontal pieces but even solid color paint looks different. The difference isn't as profound, but you can see it.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca