X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djberson
    Experienced
    • Jun 10 2012

My 1'st Shakedown Cruise went well

I took my first Squarebird on its first "big trip" (DC to Baltimore and back again) today. The drive was about an hour each way, all highway. I am pleased to report the car performed impressively and cruised effortlessly at 85 MPH, in spite of its somewhat tired springs. It tracked true, and there were no vibrations whatsoever.
    Having travelled at 85, (a speed I did not expect to reach in this car... and not that I need to speed as a rule) it made me curious to know... who here has driven their squarebird the fastest??
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Glad to hear the trip was a success - sounds like you have a nice car - post some pics when you get a chance - love to see it.

Saw the post about the "Frig-King?" A/C. I have seen a few of those on other Tbird's over the years but only one offered for sale out of the car (ebay). Those vents are probably going to be hard to find. Might want to check with some of the used vendors here on the forum to see if by chance they have an old one in a parts car. Try Carl Heller (partsetal) - he seems to have quite a few used Tbirds.

As for speed - can't really prove it but was on an "acceleration ramp" a few years back and had to decide if I wanted to slam on brakes and wait on a tractor trailer to go by hoping the Subaru following me on the ramp didn't rear end me....... or........ nail it.

Of course - I chose the latter. About 3/4 of a mile down the road I figured I was going faster than the posted 55mph but when I looked much to my surprise the speedo read 105 . It only felt like about 70 or so. One of these days I'll get a pic to prove it....what smooth highway cars.

Eric

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

Back around 1992-3ish I had my 1960 430cid Bird to 100MPH. It was on a nice open, straight stretch of highway here in TX. I was younger then (and dummer too)...

Never again though, I just wanted to see if she was even capable for getting up "there".

I remember I was shocked to see that 140MPH speedo when I 1st bought her in 1990.

This particular day, I remember she had more left in her too (2.91 rear axle ratio in the 430's), but 100MPH felt way too crazy- With 4 wheel drum brakes too!!

-Jon in TX.
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

I drove a friends ´60 430 just over 200 km/h ( 125 mph ). Without belts, but I don´t think they would do much help anyway if anything was about to go wrong. I asked him if I could drive his totally renovated car, just to feel how a car in real good condition felt like. He was very positive and as soon as we headed out on a strait, that happend to be quite long and strait, he asked me, well perhaps more demanded me to push the pedal to the metal. I was happy already at 100 km/h, but he wasn´t. at just over 200 km/h, I stopped listen to his " come on! More!! She can better!!" anymore. I actually overtook a few cars, and it must have been quite a sight to se this old ship fly by My own, I like to cruise around 90 km/h as maximum...(55 mph ). I didn´t thought these cars could reach that speed in the first place. Perhaps he did something to the engine while the whole car was up for overhaulin´?...
        Attached Files
        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Deblib
          Apprentice
          • Apr 30 2012

Speed

After I had my engine and transmission re-done and broken in I opened it up to 90 mph. She flies, but with those open windows, no window posts and only lap belts you can't feel too safe! I can certainly do the 85 mph on the interstate with no problem. They were made to cruise, low and sleek!
          Debbie #38435

Comment

• djberson
            Experienced
            • Jun 10 2012

haha, I knew there had to be some daredevils here!
            Thanks for the tip re: Mr. Heller. That is very helpful and I appreciate it.

Comment

Speed ...

I have a favorite stretch of remote highway that I like where mine has seen 120+. If I ever get the new drive-line in it should be able to more than peg the 140 speedo. I'm sure I'll quit before it does. Mike

Comment

110-120 is no prob for these. U just need enough room to stop. Which is a bit of a problem (like both feet on that pedal) and a parchutte.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 30 2009

I've got to wonder about the accuracy of these old speedometers...

Seems mine gets less accurate the faster I am going; but then I dont have the stock engine, trans., or rear end. I've changed the driven gear on the speedo cable a few times, and I think it's about as good as I'm going to get. Speedo seems to run about 10mph fast vs. actual.

If my speedo is at 80 mph, I'm running 70 mph according to my wife's new VW Passat following behind.
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• djberson
                    Experienced
                    • Jun 10 2012

At least your tickets will be for less than you expect

Comment

• byersmtrco
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 28 2004

I've run mine up to 100 (verif w/ my Garmin GPS) several times.
                      W/O effort.

My dad (who was nuts by the way) was a truck driver and went to
                      work at all odd hrs. He ran it over 100 almost every day (for 30+Yrs)

When I was a kid- riding with him he ran it to about 120-125.
                      After about 110, I was ready to ___ my pants.

He swore that he had it going (much) faster??!!

When I was a teenager I race him a few times with my Dodge Charger.
                      He could take me after 80 or so. I drafted him a few times though.
                      Those TB's put up a vacuum (It's one reason Ford quit using em in Nascar)

Used to just frost me that the ol' man's TB could take my hot rod !!!

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I took my '59 out for it's first real shakedown test yesterday. Ran well until the carb got clogged for some reason. All new fuel system components so I have to figure out what's going on. The belted tires look great but give me radials any day.

John
                        Attached Files
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi John, from what I can see of it, I LOVE that turquoise interior! In looking back over the last number of years when Alexander and I put out the Squarebirds Calendar, I do not see where your Tbird was ever featured in the calendar. If you are interested, you still have time to get me some high definition pix! 300bpi, 3000pixels, 3MP and higher would do the trick. If she has not been considered in the past, I would like to at least consider her this time.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Ray,

Thanks for the info on the calender. I just finished it about a month ago which is why you've never seen it before. When is the cut off date. I'll see if I can get some better pictures done. Here's a shot of the interior. I really like the white with the turquoise.

John
                            Attached Files
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi John, that interior is pretty! The cut off for pix submission is October 15th. Take a look at Anything Goes, and the post regarding submitting pix for the Calendar, and you will see what I need in the way of picture sizes. The bigger the better. These 800x600 to 1024 x whatever are to small once you blow them up for a full page calendar. They diffuse.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎