This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Apprentice

ron
Default chrome wire wheels

After a long winter, I just uncovered my 60 cont. to find a cat
****ed on my new wire wheel. Looks like there's a tiny spot of rust
on the rim. Any ideas on how to remove? The wheels are only 2 yrs
old. I didn't think they would rust that fast. I had plastic garage
bags over them, but that one must have been pulled off by the little vandal. Also anyone know where to go to have a front end alignment
done right and not getting hosed? Car veers to right when you let go
of the wheel.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Experienced

juantejeda is on a distinguished road
Default RE: chrome wire wheels

Where you located? I use Big-O Tires out here in California, they seem to do good by me.
TJ
Thunderbird Registry #7960
Old 03-27-2005, 12:49 AM
Apprentice

flamingo 59

Im definetely no expert here, but for your chrome, you might try some very fine steel wool to get that rust off. Its worked quite well on a few rusty pieces Ive had.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Do not use the orig Ford align specs. Back in the day, when these cars were made, roads were more crowned. I've used Goodyear for alignments (lifetime guar). The GY database has the updated specs from Ford.

JB

________
VAPIR NO2

Last edited by byersmtrco : 04-05-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:05 PM

59 Bigbird

I saw this on the tv program, Myth Busters. They basically prove when something is a fact or myth. They did prove that pouring coke over a rusted chrome bumper and letting it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, then rubbing the area with alumiun foil, is a FACT not a myth.
I saw them do this and this worked on getting the rust off better than any other technique or harse product!
P.S. My 59 T-Bird has always reared to the right also. No one has ever been able to figure it out or fix the problem, so after 17 years, I just figure its the Birds preference!!
Linda
Old 04-27-2005, 12:19 PM

59 Bigbird

Never Never Never store things in plastic. If your wheels are only 2 years old (mine is 17 yrs old and look new) then I doubt it was the cat that caused the rust if you had plastic around them.
I found out the hard way that you do not store furs, metal, pictures, or just about anything else in plastic. Things can not breath or air can not circulate properly and that causes moisture, which causes rust! People put those plastic covers on their central air cond. outside during the winter months, only to find out in the summer that the units are overcome with rust and problems due to this kept the moisture in the units (found that out the hard way also!)
If you must store anything in plastic, it is advised that you put a piece of chalk in with it to absord the moisture or for your wheels, lay some chalk between the wheels and plastic. I have four pieces of cardboard that I lay up against the wheels or any other part of the car that I think might be in the way of a ding or scratch. Works for me!
Linda
Old 04-27-2005, 10:47 PM

NIPPER30 is on a distinguished road

I'M GONNA TRY THE CHALK AND CARDBOARD ON MY MERCEDES WHO HAS MADE IT OUTSIDE WITH A COVER SINCE MY 59 BIRD GOT HERE IN THE N.E. IN DECEMBER.SHE GOT THE GARAGE.I WOULD USE ONE OF THOSE SPONGES WITH ONE SIDE SPONGE THE OTHER THAT GREEN TUFF STUFF BEFORE I DUG INTO MY CHROME.USE A RUBBING COMPOUND ALONG WITH SPONGE.