Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gauge cluster removal, need to find burning wire.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

gauge cluster removal, need to find burning wire.

Hi all, as the title suggests I'm having some issues where every time I install my lower dash panel, turn the key on I've got something burning.
    Doesn't do it without the lower panel which may be why when I purchased the car the lower panel was on the back seat.
    Now I can't see anything from underneath so the last option now is to remove the gauge cluster.
    Is it just a matter of undoing the 8 or so speed nuts and pulling forward or will it be easier to remove a gauge for better access.
    I know I'm going to rip my hands apart doing it but I don't have any other options.
    Cheers Chris.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's easier to remove the nuts with the gauges out. You're still going to cut up your hands but not quite as much.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks John, let the pain begin.
      One step forward and two steps back with this car.
      Cheers Chris.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It doesn't make sense that it would only happen with the lower dash piece in place. It shouldn't be anywhere near any wires. Maybe one of the screws is going in too far and touching something. Try installing it with just one or two screws in and see if it still happens. The only wires are probably around the steering column.

John

Comment

Haha exactly John. It's not making any sense to me either.
          Obviously something isn't right somewhere, the previous owner by the looks of it has really just stuffed a lot of the wires back without fixing them correctly to there mounting points.
          Something isn't adding up, I can't see it touching anywhere but it must be somewhere.
          I've figured the best way to sort this out once and for all is to check and totally clean up all the wiring harness and go from there.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's a good idea to get everything organized and dressed up, especially with no fuse box. The wires on the headlight switch are especially susceptible to touching something and shorting out.

John

Comment

Funny you mentioned that, I've just noticed that it's when I turn my headlights on, something is burning.
              I can't see anything from underneath so a bit of digging and organizing is definitely required.
              I've obviously disrupted something when installing the panel as I needed to push some wires up and away from the small breakers.
              No issues a week ago but nothing is surprising anymore.
              I take it the headlights have a heavy wire running up top somewhere so I'll poke around and see what I can see.
              Cheers Chris.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Maybe you disturbed the wires that go down to the dimmer switch. I think they are around where the lower dash panel bolts near the kick panel.

John

Comment

Could quite easily be.
                  I'll follow them up underneath the dash and check.
                  Will a stray wire touching one of the small breakers have a similar effect?

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Anything touching one of the breakers would most likely spark. It sounds like you have a dead short somewhere.

John

Comment

Ok, definitely sounds like I've got some tidying up to do.
                      Hopefully finding the short doesn't take too long.
                      I probably should have pulled all this apart when I got the car but since everything worked I didn't bother.
                      Lesson learned I think.

Comment

How do I get the gauges out.
                        Is it just a twist and pull the bezel off and I'd say there's screws behind.
                        My bezels don't budge.

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                          Experienced
                          • May 28 2012

Firm grip on the bezel and wiggle them while pulling straight out. I had a wire on the ignition switch that was pointing down and on some occasion when I turned the key it would touch the metal and short out. I pulled the switch and turned it to the side and I no longer have that issue.
                          Yellow98Cobra
                          1960 Thunderbird HT
                          Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
                          There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
                          http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

Excellent, thanks mate. I did recently have the ignition switch out so that'll be worth checking.
                            Cheers Chris.

Comment

Ok, I have the dash out and have begun to tidy up the wiring, quite messy behind there.
                              One concern I've come across though is my clock. It had stopped working which was fine but I noticed it started again when I loosened it out of the dash. Which may not seem to strange but the negative battery terminal was disconnected at the time so it shouldn't be going.
                              Any thoughts.
                              Cheers Chris.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎