X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tenshi95
    Apprentice
    • Jul 10 2011

Couple A/C questions!

Hello all, working on some A/C while I have my interior out and before it gets too hot out here in Atlanta, but I had a couple questions.

quick rundown- I am installing the factory A/C components except I am modifying the system for 134A (compressor, evap, condenser, hoses, etc)

These are for modern A/C parts unless specified!

First Q is about evaporators, do they need to be mounted vertically or can I mount one horizontally? If not horizontally can I run it say... 20-30 degrees off vertical? (and about how far off vertical can I run if I can't do horizontal.)

can anyone suggest a modern 134a compressor preferably from a car around 2000 (bonus points for ford) that would work well in a 59 bird with a 352 with fabricated brackets? I would love to go with the aftermarket sanders compressors but I am trying to do a 'budget' build as much as possible.

On the my original fan I have 3 wires, ground low and hi I assume, on the fan I got from the A/C donor car it has only 2 wires and on the side of the fan housing is two wire attaching points and if you look on the inside it is just a coiled wire about 2" long. Any ideas what is different? I was planning on running my original fan since it works, but what is the coiled wire thingamajig?

Thanks all for looking, I am taking a ton of pics so I can do a factory or modified A/C install how-to, I will probably need some pics from a factory A/C car to complete it, so look for that soon!

-Robert
  • KULTULZ

Originally posted by Tenshi95

quick rundown- I am installing the factory A/C components except I am modifying the system for 134A (compressor, evap, condenser, hoses, etc)

These are for modern A/C parts unless specified!

First Q is about evaporators, do they need to be mounted vertically or can I mount one horizontally? If not horizontally can I run it say... 20-30 degrees off vertical? (and about how far off vertical can I run if I can't do horizontal.)
    It can be mounted in any position.

can anyone suggest a modern 134a compressor preferably from a car around 2000 (bonus points for ford) that would work well in a 59 bird with a 352 with fabricated brackets? I would love to go with the aftermarket sanders compressors but I am trying to do a 'budget' build as much as possible.
    FORD has used the SANDEN style extensively. Here is a mounting bracket- http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air...90-428-849.php

...and of course you would fashion the headers to fit around everything once fabricated. You would need to look through a MOTORCRAFT AC Parts Manual to find the style of compressor (hose manifold) you would need.

On the my original fan I have 3 wires, ground low and hi I assume, on the fan I got from the A/C donor car it has only 2 wires and on the side of the fan housing is two wire attaching points and if you look on the inside it is just a coiled wire about 2" long. Any ideas what is different? I was planning on running my original fan since it works, but what is the coiled wire thingamajig?
    The coil is your heater motor resistance switch which allows for the motor to be multi-speed.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎