This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:33 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately none of the issues they found would make the car start by itself as you described. I would ask the shop to explain how that happened.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-31-2018, 03:46 PM
Experienced

ssj335 is on a distinguished road

Darn! I will do that.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:51 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I am with John and his answer.

Points simply ground the ignition coil so the coil can make spark. If the gap is too wide or small the car simply won't run.

If someone set your distributor wrong, they don't know what they're doing. This work isn't hard at all and it is covered in the Shop Manual.

Why would someone change the carb's return spring?

Many of us pointed directly to your starter solenoid as being the cause of your starter, 'running by itself'. You don't mention anything about that, which surprises me. If nobody wants to talk about that, they're blowing smoke... Believe me. Disconnect the small wires from your starter solenoid to prove your key switch circiut is ok.

Your battery is the least concern because it did exactly what it was designed for. Disconnect one post connection and give your battery a good charge. The fastest way to kill a lead-acid battery is to leave it discharged.

While the battery cable is off, test the starter solenoid.

Good wires, belts, hoses, etc., are all important but the old ones worked just fine. I don't mean to pry but... how much of this work did you do yourself? I'm asking because, good or bad, when I work on my cars I know exactly what was done. I also take pictures as I go along for my own reference. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-31-2018, 05:00 PM
Experienced

Thanks. I am def not a mechanic. The only thing I did (partially with help) was to remove the burnt out battery terminal (the type with the twist on top) and replace with a new terminal (the regular type). That was it.

The mechanic is the one who did all those other things I mentioned. He charged the battery up, changed the contacts, replaced that spring, and re-fitted the cap, also changing the wire i mentioned too.

Will ask about those other things.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:02 PM
Experienced

Woobie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Unfortunately none of the issues they found would make the car start by itself as you described. I would ask the shop to explain how that happened.

John
Maybe the shop is not finished with the work but myself, personally, would be on high alert for hundreds of dollars more in repairs.

And I always want the parts returned to me that were replaced.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:40 PM
Experienced

You guys were right!

Mechanic says after doing the worked described that the car started up fine several times but then one of the times it kept cranking even when the key was removed.

He discovered that indeed the starter solenoid was bad so he changed that. You people sure know what you're talking about here. Thanks for the amazing advice.

Now... he is tallying up the bill... lol well all in all whatever it is I am happy to have a mechanically sound vehicle (knock on wood).
Old 07-31-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj335 View Post
Now... he is tallying up the bill... lol well all in all whatever it is I am happy to have a mechanically sound vehicle (knock on wood).
None of the parts involved are very expensive so the main cost will be labor. Hopefully it won't hurt too much. It shouldn't have taken very long to do the repairs.

John

Old 07-31-2018, 05:54 PM
Experienced

Thanks John - any everyone here - for providing such great sound advice.

If not for that I would have no idea what to be asking for.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:58 PM

You're welcome. I feel for anyone who has to take their car in for repairs without having some knowledge of the work being done. Hopefully the shop will treat you fairly.

John

Old 07-31-2018, 06:24 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj335 View Post
...The only thing I did (partially with help) was to remove the burnt out battery terminal (the type with the twist on top) and replace with a new terminal (the regular type)...
I'm still trying to figure this one out.

What battery terminal has a twist on top, or a twist-on top? Is this a disconnect? - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca