This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:15 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
...Taking pictures as many as possible, but cleaning the hands every time is a bit of a fuzz...
Taking pictures makes the job take TWICE as long. That's why most restorations have NO pictures.

Most of this work is done on a bench so maybe you can set your camera on a tripod, and press the button. Or, put a plastic bag around the camera with a hole for the lens. Better yet, have someone else take the pictures.

Pictures will help you later, when you re-assemble or if you want to 'look back' on your work. Take HUNDREDS of pictures at all different angles. You can always throw out bad or useless pictures but you cannot create them after the job is done. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-24-2018, 07:58 PM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road

I had some time today to disassemble the transmission and already found some problems. The primary sungear shaft came out with one of the seal rings cut in half. Later on i found the other half. I will have to check it better, but it seems that this is the fluid supply to the front clutch. Checked both the front and rear clutch packs. The rear one looks fine, but from the front one, one side of the discs are completely worn, while the other side still has friction material on it. I presume that the broken seal ring has to do with this. The rebuild kit has all new seal rings, so that should be ok.
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 07-25-2018, 12:53 PM
Experienced

Anyone knows were they sell the transmission bushings for a middle case MX? I saw on e-bay a set for the large case.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Experienced

As Bill Petska had indicated, Fatsco has a lot of parts for our Cruise-o-Matics. Just ordered a bushing kit and some other small hardware from them.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:03 AM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see the pics when you have time.
Mine works fine, except a clunk going into drive,
but it leaks all over and someday I figure to
rebuild it..............
Old 08-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
I'd like to see the pics when you have time.
Mine works fine, except a clunk going into drive,
but it leaks all over and someday I figure to
rebuild it..............
Regarding the clunk, i would first have a look at both drive shaft CV joints for play.
Regarding pictures, will not have much time, even to work on the project, but later i will share some pictures.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Experienced

So my vacation started yesterday and now i can find some time to work on the transmission. I started the assembly last week and was able to finish it today. That is, the transmission itself, not the installation into the bird yet.
I ended today with a fresh layer of paint. Only the transmission pan i will remove again and paint after the installation of the transmission into the bird, because otherwise the new paint will get damaged during the installation process. In fact the transmission almost nobody will see once its installed, only the bell housing will be in view with the hood open, but i like to do it right.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Experienced

Finished the installation of the transmission last week. I have to reverse to get out of the garage and that didn't work. Tried some adjustments, but no cure.
Lowered the transmission pan again and air tested the clutches and servos. All seemed to be working ok. I had installed a new (used) valve body, so i cleaned and installed the old one again and now all is working fine. One to two shifts very smooth and two to three can be felt a bit, but nothing out of the ordinary.First the engine didn't want to idle (after 5 or so months of no use),
but cleaning the carburator solved that.
Today i took the Bird out and i'm very happy with the final result.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Today i took the Bird out and i'm very happy with the final result.

Frank glad to hear that all your time and effort worked out and you are cruisin
58HT #33317
60 HT (Sold )
Old 11-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission rebuild kit

Frank, you have worked hard and long on getting this right, not to mention you did it without the benefit of having a Tbird parts house close by to obtain parts from. And the additional expense of having them shipped to you from this area once you did. Now I hope you will be able to enjoy the benefits of having her back in normal operating conditions again! Congratulations!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm