Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glassjd
    • Jul 25 2012

New Member - Advice Needed

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and I was hoping to get some advice from some of the vets around here. I own a 1960 Thunderbird that has been passed down my family and I'm the 3rd generation to own.

I'm stuck with a dilemma because my great uncle (the original owner) had replaced the stock 352 with a 390 from a later year. My options are to either find and rehab a 352, rehab the 390, or drop an entirely new engine in the bird. Because my wife is about to have our first child (a boy to take over the car in 30 years) this is still in planning stages until I have a few grand to fix the engine.

One other thing to mention is that the car, other than the engine, is still original. The paint is nearly impeccable, with chips I can count on one hand, no dents, and only a little rust on the rockers. The bottom has a lot of surface rust, but that can be taken care of fairly easily. The overall condition of the car also plays into my dilemma.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice as to what a few of the purists and the experts would say. Thanks again, I'm certainly enjoying reading what everyone has done to their own birds.
    Last edited by glassjd; July 27, 2012, 09:58 AM. Reason: More Info
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There's nothing wrong with having a 390 instead of a 352. In fact if you use the 352 intake manifold, valve covers and air cleaner no one will know the difference unless it's a later one with an alternator. And even then that's an upgrade most of us would recommend. What's wrong with the 390 you have? They are usually pretty reliable other than oil leaks from the intake. If it's smoking you may just need new valve seals.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deblib
      Apprentice
      • Apr 30 2012

Is the car drivable now? If It is, then you probably don't have to spend as much. If its not then you could still rebuild that engine. How many miles on it? Either way you will never have that matching original engine now (unless he stored it), so you might as well rebuild what you have and save some $$$.
      Debbie #38435

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

I'm a "keep it original" kind of guy..... Here even I would stick with the 390cid you already have. Just paint up the engine & air cleaner like the 352cid.

-Jon in TX.
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I'm with all the rest of the posts; keep the 390 because parts are more plentiful and cheaper.

If you really want a 352, I'm sure you can find one cheap. They are far more expensive to overhaul, but you can... then set it aside as an 'original' engine while you run the 390. (I assume you want to cruise in your Squarebird as opposed to keeping it a 'garage queen'.) - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• glassjd
            • Jul 25 2012

I appreciate all your responses. The purist in me wants it original, but since I'm not ever going to have matching numbers I guess keeping the 390 is the way to go. The 390 runs alright aside from the constant backfiring which is why I want to do a rebuild. I definitely want it to be a sunday cruiser. No point in keeping it in my garage if I can't drive it.

Jon

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Backfiring is most likely a fuel, timing or a vacuum advance issue. Should be easy to fix.

John

Comment

• tbird430
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 18 2007

Originally posted by jopizz
                Backfiring is most likely a fuel, timing or a vacuum advance issue. Should be easy to fix.

John
                I agree. Maybe a Petronix System is in order for you. It is a "more modern upgrade" & very simple to install.

Then check to make sure your mechanical & vaccum advance is working on the dist.

sigpic
                The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
                  Backfiring is most likely a fuel, timing or a vacuum advance issue...
                  It could also be a burned valve issue or lifters/rocker arms that keep valves open.
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• newbird59
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 27 2011

I agree with the crew...Keep the 390 in your car because it's a great engine (+ a few more horses than a 352)! Repair and rebuild what you have! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it!

The guys that posted before me are some of the most helpful guys on this site...everyone is super nice and they are all willing to help out. It's pretty amazing.

1st step (if you haven't done so already) is to get the shop manual for you 1960 Thunderbird. It's great to have around and it has everything you need to keep working on your bird.

-David
                    1960 Thunderbird
                    429 TJ
                    C6 Tranny
                    Under Construction

Comment

• dgs
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by glassjd
                      I appreciate all your responses. The purist in me wants it original, but since I'm not ever going to have matching numbers I guess keeping the 390 is the way to go.
                      There's no such thing as a 'numbers matching' Squarebird, there are no records to match engine & trans numbers to the VIN. Ford simply didn't keep 'em. Unless someone has all records from new to show the engine was never replaced, best you can do is make sure the casting and assy dates are before your build date.
                      DGS (aka salguod)
                      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                      www.salguod.net

Comment

• glassjd
                        • Jul 25 2012

I just want to thank everyone for the replies and the advice. This really helps out a guy like me because what I know about working on a car myself could fill a shot glass.

Honestly, I'm interested in keeping the car working and clean because of the sentimental reasons. I'm excited to learn as I go along, this will definitely be a labor of love.

When you all speak of the fuel/timing issues with backfiring, can you be a little more specific? My mechanic, who has restored fords previously, has me using premium gas with a lead additive. Obviously this isn't working properly, what is the first thing you would look to check out?

Thanks
                        Jon

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are a number of things to check. First I would make sure the vacuum advance is working. It's as easy as removing the line from the carburetor, putting a rubber hose on it and sucking into it until you feel resistance and then letting it go, You will hear it snap. If it feels like you are just sucking air then it is defective. Also check the timing with a timing light. It should be around 6 degrees BTDC. As far as the carburetor goes it could be as simple as a malfunctioning choke or a defective accelerator pump valve. If your carburetor hasn't been taken apart and rebuilt recently I would recommend it. If you have the original Ford carburetor it's rather simple to do. Blocked fuel passages will also cause backfiring. Using premium fuel with the lead additive is fine. That's not causing your problem.

John

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎